World Bulletin / News Desk
A California man behind an anti-Islam film that stoked protests in the Muslim world is due to appear in a federal court in Los Angeles next week for a preliminary hearing on whether he violated the terms of his probation over a 2010 bank fraud conviction, court papers show.
Mark Basseley Youssef, 55, who before went by the name Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, is scheduled to go before U.S. District Judge Christina Snyder on Wednesday, the documents filed on Friday in U.S. District Court show.
The terms of Youssef's 2011 release from prison include a ban on using aliases without the permission of a probation officer.
The Egyptian-born Youssef has been described as the producer of a crudely made 13-minute video filmed in California and circulated online under a number of titles, including "Innocence of Muslims." It mocked the Prophet Mohammad and sparked a torrent of anti-American unrest in Egypt and other Muslim countries last month.
The U.S. Marshals Service arrested Youssef on Sept. 27 and took him before a federal judge that day for a hearing held amid tight security at which prosecutors accused him of violating the terms of his probation.
A judge that day ordered him held without bail, and a federal prison official later confirmed he was taken to a high-rise federal jail in downtown Los Angeles.
The defendant, who had worked in the gas station industry, declared at the outset of his last hearing that he had changed his name to Mark Basseley Youssef in 2002 from his previous name of Nakoula Basseley Nakoula.
While previous court documents referred to him as Nakoula, the latest court papers from Friday name him as Youssef. He most recently lived in a suburb of Los Angeles.
An actress, Cindy Lee Garcia, who appeared briefly in the clip, has accused him in a federal lawsuit of making the film under the alias Sam Bacile. Garcia has said she thought she was working on a historical adventure film and did not know it had anything to do with Prophet Mohammad.
Other people who appeared in or worked on the film have made similar claims.
Federal authorities have stressed that they are not investigating the film over its content.
Prosecutors did not specify which terms of Youssef's 2011 conditional release he is suspected of violating, but they said he had used aliases and that they could seek to have him sent to prison for up to 24 months if a judge finds he violated his probation.
Iraqi foreign ministry expressed Iraq's concern about the Saudi-led military campaign in Yemen.
Yemen's Hadi leaves Aden attend Arab summit, in Egypt under Saudi protection
Hezbollah sees Yemen strikes causing more Mideast tension
Troops from Chad and Niger pursued Boko Haram in Nigerian border area
U.S. special envoy says coalition "seriously degrading" ISIL in Tikrit
An alliance of Syrian opposition including Nusra Front have overun 17 defence posts around Idlib
Iraqi MP Aydin Maruf calls for arming of Sunni tribes to participate in Tikrit military operation against ISIL
The Turkish foreign ministry said in a statement that Turkey backs Saudi military intervention in Yemen
Russian foreign ministry calls on all parties involved in Yemen crisis to immediately stop all forms of military activity
Dusko Dabetic was detained in Turkey's holiday resort province of Antalya.
A Marseille prosecutor said on Thursday, Germanwings co-pilot likely crashed jet deliberately
Notes written by Prince Charles to government departments between 2004-2005 could now be published after landmark ruling.
According to a senior U.S. official, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry spoke with the foreign ministers of Saudi Arabia and welcomed their decision
Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) will investigate chlorine gas attack claims..
Britain's Foreign Office said in a statement that Britain backs Saudi military intervention in Yemen