World Bulletin / News Desk
A Cairo court on Wednesday acquitted 24 former senior Egyptian officials accused of sending men on horseback and camels to attack protesters during last year's uprising, after a trial lasting more than a year.
The attack, which later became known as "The Battle of the Camel" was one of the most violent incidents of the 18-day-uprising that toppled Hosni Mubarak in February 11, 2011.
The assault by the horse and camel riders, who whipped people in a crowd of tens of thousands of protesters in Cairo's Tahrir Square on Feb. 2 of last year, produced some of the most startling images of the uprising and helped galvanise protests among Egyptians shocked by the violence.
According to a court document seen by Reuters, the court "did not find any material evidence to convict the defendants".
Among the former officials who stood trial were Fathi Sorour, former speaker in the lower house of parliament, and Safwat Sherif, former head of parliament's upper house who was a longtime confidant of Mubarak. All denied the charges against them.
Both Sorour and Sherif will remain in jail pending other investigations for alleged corruption.
Abadi's office said the US government had agreed to the request.
The suspects, a Moroccan and four Spaniards, are accused of inciting attacks and acting as go-betweens for IS recruitment in Europe.
France has repeatedly broken the EU's fiscal rules and a top independent watchdog has said it doubts Paris will reach its target next year either.
Investigation team says launcher brought from Russia to east Ukraine fired missile that hit flight carrying 298 people
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas speaks about the dim prospects for peace with Benjamin Netanyahu’s Israel
Emergency services have arrived at the scene, with the number of people travelling in the helicopter unknown.
Libyan prime minister-designate Fayez al-Sarraj held talks with President Francois Hollande in Paris on Tuesday.
The joint manoeuvres in the strategic waterway between the Gulf and the Sea of Oman come after a series of incidents between Iranian vessels and US warships in the area in recent months.
Christos Stylianides says aid cannot be delivered "when convoys are deliberately shot at"
Libya is a key gateway for thousands fleeing turmoil for a better life in Europe
Statement from ETA terror group cites recent peace deal signed by FARC rebels, Colombian government
The wife of a prized MI5 intelligence officer Mrs Garbo had threatened to end the entire operation and expose the deception, by going to the Spanish Embassy and revealing her husband's activities.
Number of troops in Iraq as part of 60-nation anti-ISIL alliance now stands at 8,000, US official asserts
A new ambassador has been appointed to Cuba on the footsteps of once unthinkable changes to the relations of US and Cuba
Flotilla carrying women only sails off to Gaza Strip to end Israeli siege
German police investigate xenophobic motive after unknown suspects attack mosque in Dresden