World Bulletin / News Desk
Relatives of Bosnian Muslims massacred in the town of Srebrenica sued the Netherlands on Thursday at the European Court of Human Rights over a Dutch court ruling that said the United Nations had immunity from prosecution.
Some 8,000 Muslim boys and men were killed by Serb forces in July 1995 in an area protected by Dutch UN peacekeepers that the United Nations had declared a "safe haven".
Lawyers for the group had tried to sue the United Nations in the Netherlands for failing to stop the killing. But the Dutch Supreme Court ruled that the United Nations could not be prosecuted by a national court, ending the effort to hold it to account for failing to prevent the genocide.
Dutch lawyers for the Mothers of Srebrenica survivors' group said they were suing the Netherlands over the decision for "granting absolute immunity to the United Nations".
"The denial of justice is even more horrendous because the United Nations is denying them all legal recourse," the Van Diepen-Van der Kroef law firm said in a statement.
The European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg said it had received the complaint.
The slaughter of Muslims, judged an act of genocide by the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia, was the worst atrocity of the 1992-1995 Bosnian war, in which about 100,000 people died.
Dutch U.N. peacekeepers were unable to prevent attacking Serb fighters from occupying Srebrenica, separating Bosnian Muslim men from women and taking them in buses to dozens of execution sites.
Last year, a Dutch court found the Dutch state responsible for the deaths of three victims, opening the way for compensation claims over the failed peacekeeping mission.
In big win for Nigeria’s anti-corruption campaign, official sentenced over abuse of office totaling $4.4M
PM Mariano Rajoy says he will trigger Article 155 of Spanish constitution, which gives Madrid control of Catalonia
On Friday, Iraqi government forces wrested control of kıirkuk's northern Altunkopru sub-district from Peshmerga
Statement from US Embassy in Ankara comes after Pentagon condemns raising of banner of Abdullah Ocalan in Raqqah
Chancellor-designate Sebastian Kurz has not ruled out ruling coalition with anti-immigrant Freedom Party
Law forces removal of niqabs, burkas while riding municipal buses
Army also takes 2 oil fields in disputed area of Mosul, bringing number of captured oil fields to 44
Army retakes several districts from al-Shabaab, terrorist group blamed for last Saturday's deadly attack
We urge Iraqi government to calm situation by limiting federal forces’ movements in disputed areas, the spokesperson says
Tillerson, speaking one week after President Donald Trump refused to certify the Iran nuclear deal and left its fate to the US Congress, said that he would address European allies' business concerns.
Until Spain's Senate convenes to discuss the government's move to start imposing direct control over Catalonia Puigdemont "can change course, can return to constitutional legality," Martinez-Maillo said.
One of the organisers said "more than 10,000" people turned out for the march to the trades union congress building. No official figure was immediately available.
The inspection was related to "concerns that several German car manufacturers may have violated EU antitrust rules that prohibit cartels and restrictive business practices," a statement said.
Borut Pahor being tipped to return as president for second 5-year term