World Bulletin / News Desk
Colombian government negotiators and rebels have delayed their departure for peace talks in Norway aimed at ending nearly half a century of conflict but still plan to arrive in time for their only publicly scheduled event on Wednesday.
Colombian government officials, expected to have arrived in Norway over the weekend, will not come until Tuesday because of "logistical difficulties", a government spokeswoman said.
It remained unclear when the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) would arrive.
The sides agreed in August to start talks in the first two weeks of October but had already delayed their arrival once as they worked to iron out details for their talks, which will he held under the principle "that nothing is agreed until everything is agreed".
Norway, which has acted as a negotiator between the sides for years, declined to discuss the delay and a foreign ministry spokesperson said the sides still plan to attend a press conference on Wednesday, their only public event.
Colombian newspaper El Espectador said the new hold up is the result of a late change in the FARC's negotiating team, which has generated concern in the Colombian government.
FARC rebels included Dutch national Tanja Nijmeijer in their team, a move the Colombian government refused to accept because she was not a Colombian citizen, the paper said.
Rebels, however, argued that the terms of their agreement allow them to freely pick the members of their team.
Colombian officials could not immediately comment on the paper's report while FARC officials could not be reached.
A 10-year military offensive has weakened the FARC but has been unable to end the conflict, leaving President Juan Manuel Santos vulnerable ahead of elections in 2014.
Peace talks have already failed several times before.
Talks in Oslo are expected to focus on laying the groundwork for later negotiations and the parties are then expected to move to Havana for the substantive part of their discussions.
Norway and Cuba have agreed to act as guarantors at the talks while Venezuela and Cuba will act as "accompaniers".
The clashes had broken out in Silwan neighborhood after Israeli troops raided the homes of the relatives of a Palestinian driver accused of running over and killing a baby and injuring eight people
A baby was killed and eight people were injured when a Palestinian driver ran over passengers in Jerusalem
It was the second flare-up this week and comes weeks after Britain and France agreed to improve border controls
A Canadian soldier was shot at the Canadian War Memorial in Ottawa and the parliament building attacked in which gunshots were fired
Widodo had originally planned to announce his cabinet of 33 ministers on Tuesday, said his team would be made up of 18 technocrats and 15 political appointees.
A 13-year-old boy was detained after hurling stones at Israeli cars in the Al-Tur neighborhood, three other Palestinian boys, aged between 14 and 16, were detained for throwing rocks at Israeli police vehicles in the Beit Hanina district.
Iranian demonstrators gather in front of Isfahan Department of Justice building to protest acid attacks against women in the street.
The Ansar al-Sharia group wrote on Twitter that its fighters had killed 30 Houthi militants in attacks on their homes in Rada'a city on Tuesday.
Iraq's Kurdish parliament unanimously votes to deploy Peshmerga forces in Syrian town of Kobani besieged by ISIL militants.
The attack sparked clashes between the settlers and local residents, which ended upon the arrival of Israeli army troops.
Palestinian negotiators still studying Egypt's proposed agenda for the upcoming talks.
Ozdil Nami warns of increasing tensions after Greek Cypriot Administration, Israel and Russia conduct military drills between Crete and Cyprus
There were no immediate reports on the number of casualties from the fighting there, but the militant advance appears to have been halted.
Crowds gathered at the U.N. base calling for peacekeepers to leave the town after two people were shot dead on Tuesday during a protest
The accused leader of the group, a Qatari man, was sentenced to 30 years in jail, after which he would be expelled from Saudi Arabia, while the other 12 were jailed for between 18 months and 18 years
Zoabi said the Syrian air force was searching for the third jet but had destroyed two of them, the first time Damascus has acknowledged that ISIL are flying the aircraft.