World Bulletin / News Desk
The Youth and Sports Ministry has officially objected to a court's verdict in a trial regarding match-fixing allegations in Turkish football.
Fenerbahçe Chairman Aziz Yıldırım and three other jailed suspects were released early in July after the presiding judge of the Specially Authorized İstanbul 16th High Criminal Court, Mehmet Ekinci, delivered the final verdict in the case that has caused uncertainty in Turkish football for the past year.
The ministry has filed a letter to the court, objecting to the verdict, asserting that the court's decision to acquit 44 of the suspects in the case is against the law. The ministry requested the decision to be reversed.
Previously, Specially Authorized İstanbul Public Prosecutor Ufuk Ermertçan, the Trabzonspor football team and several of the suspects also objected to the court's ruling.
The court stated that Yıldırım has been sentenced to six years, three months for creating and managing a criminal organization and for rigging several football matches. The decision has been forwarded to the Supreme Court of Appeals for review. If the high court upholds the verdict, Yıldırım will be sent back to prison. The court's final verdict also sentenced football agent Olgun Peker to two years, six months for creating an armed criminal organization.
However, while issuing sentences for 48 of the suspects, the court acquitted 44 of the suspects.
Security forces also seize M16 rifle, 2 hand grenades and walkie-talkie in Diyarbakir province
Number of people in need increases every day despite efforts from global community, ministry says
Head of Foreign Affairs Committee Taha Ozhan says terror attacks in Spain 'targeted whole humanity'
PKK blamed for planting explosive device in Hakkari province
Economy Minister Nihat Zeybekci reacts to German leader's statement about updating Turkey-EU customs deal
Turkish president calls on Germany-based Turks not to vote for 'hostile' CDU, SPD, Greens in September elections
Over 3,000 new foreign-partnered companies established in Turkey in first seven months of 2017
Turkish General Staff says 7 soldiers were also martyred in operations between Aug. 10-17
Turkish stocks fall 0.41 percent as US dollar/Turkish lira rate rises to 3.52
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan sent a condolence letter to the Spanish King Felipe VI
Presidential spokesman says Ankara hopes Berlin will investigate reports claiming coup suspect Adil Oksuz is in Germany
Transport minister says every tunnel, bridge and structure is being built keeping in mind possible earthquake
Refugees, Turkish host communities to acquire working skills in $1.7-million project backed by Turkish agriculture ministry
German leader's hard line on updating Turkey-EU customs deal meets criticism in Ankara