World Bulletin / News Desk
Cuba will scrap travel restrictions starting in January, easing most Cubans' exit and return, state media said on Tuesday, in the communist island's first major immigration reform in half a century.
The Cuban government imposed broad restrictions on travel starting in 1961.
The government now is set to lift requirements to obtain an exit visa permitting departure from Cuba and a letter of invitation from someone in the destination country.
Instead, starting on Jan. 14, Cubans will simply have to show a passport and, if needed, a visa from the country to which they are traveling, Communist Party newspaper Granma said.
The changes are the latest reform under President Raul Castro, who has modestly liberalized Cuba's Soviet-style economy. They are sure to please Cubans who have chafed at the country's travel restrictions.
The process of obtaining the needed documents has been time-consuming and expensive, with no guarantee at the end that the government would grant permission to leave.
The measure also extends to 24 months the amount of time Cubans can remain abroad, and they can request an extension when that runs out. Currently, Cubans lose residency and other rights including social security and free health care and education after 11 months.
Still, the notice said Cuba plans to put limits on travel within unspecified sectors.
Doctors, scientists, members of the military and others considered valuable parts of society currently face restrictions on travel to combat brain drain.
"The update to the migratory policy takes into account the right of the revolutionary State to defend itself from the interventionist and subversive plans of the U.S. government and its allies," the note said.
"Therefore, measures will remain to preserve the human capital created by the Revolution in the face of the theft of talent applied by the powerful."
A planned referendum on the secession of northern Iraq's Kurdish region on Sep. 25 is opposed by the majority of the international community while Israel supports it.
It said that armed police then arrived and used their weapons on the attacker and "liquidated" him.
The suspect's "identity is known to the police. He is an 18-year-old Moroccan citizen," it said, providing no other details about him.
Salim al-Jubouri’s Civil Rally for Reform promises to find solutions to battered Iraq’s chronic problems
"A 22-year-old foreign national has been arrested over suspected links to terrorist activity," a coastguard spokeswoman told AFP.
'We want Syria governed by Syrians, not by the United States, not by any other forces,' spokeswoman says
Alt-right luminary departs post after mutual agreement with Trump's new chief of staff, White House says
Ould Ghada, prominent opposition figure, was arrested last week
New Unified Combatant Command 'will strengthen our cyberspace operations'
Opposition lawmakers refuse to attend session announcing decree
The 15 council members held the commemoration at the start of a session dedicated to the crisis in Yemen.
Catalonia police spokesman Josep Lluis Trapero added that a driver who mowed down crowds of pedestrians in the first attack in a busy Barcelona street Thursday could be among five suspects later shot dead in a nearby city.
Massoud Barzani, General Joseph Leonard Fotel discuss fight against ISIL, planned referendum on region’s independence
Sergey Lavrov, Sigmar Gabriel say there is 'no alternative' to political, diplomatic solutions
UN agency says civilians in South Sudan keep flocking to Ethiopia as fight between government forces, rebels continues
Around 1,000 migrants, refugees to be moved to 18 sites across Ile-de-France region