World Bulletin / News Desk
Bosnian Muslims have voted down a bid to put a Serb mayor in control of Srebrenica for the first time since the massacre of 8,000 Muslims in the town by Bosnian Serb forces in 1995.
Once predominantly Muslim, Srebrenica was the site of the worst mass killing on European soil since World War Two, when Bosnian Serb forces killed Muslim men and boys near the end of the country's 1992-95 war.
A Bosnian Serb party, which rejects a United Nations ruling that the Srebrenica killings constituted genocide, launched a bid to win the post of mayor in the local election on Oct. 7.
Many Bosniaks saw the prospect of a Serb mayor taking control as a threat to their efforts to keep the memory of the crime alive and to the status of a memorial complex where more than 5,600 victims of the massacres are interred.
Camil Durakovic, the Bosniak candidate, led the drive to register some 2,000 absent voters, and a final vote count at the weekend showed him to be the victor.
"If it wasn't for this registration of voters, I would have never won," Durakovic told Reuters. "From today, I'll be the mayor of all citizens of Srebrenica."
A coalition of Serb parties has complained of irregularities and urged a partial repeat of the vote.
"The decision as to who will run the town for the next four years was brought by people who don't live there," said Rajko Vasic, a senior member of the Alliance of Independent Social Democrats led by Milorad Dodik, leader of Bosnia's autonomous Serb Republic.
Barely 15 percent of the town's 27,600 pre-war Muslim residents, known as Bosniaks, has been able to return to the town. Many of the others are scattered across Bosnia and around the world.
In previous years, those Bosniaks were allowed to vote in Srebrenica, but they were banned from doing so this year.
Sunday's run off vote sees incumbent Dervis Eroglu face independent candidate Mustafa Akinci
The ash presents a threat to air traffic, as particles in the atmosphere can cause problems for planes.
Haggag Ali Adam was killed as he walked in a major market in capital Mogadishu, eyewitnesses said.
A Chechen man was killed last week by Stavropol forces which angered Ramzan Kadyrov , the head of the Chechen government who then issued a shoot to kill order to prevent any unauthorised Russian forces entering the republic
Togolese voters went to polling booths today to elect their new president.
An explosion has occurred at a military facility in Plateau State with yet unknown number of casualties, witnesses and a security source said.
Greece has been criticized for slowing down preparations on reform that would unlock funding from international creditors.
Rebels opened fire on forces from the governements National Guard, despite a ceasfire being in place.
Police claim that 16 year old Ali Abu Ghanim, 17, ran towards them with a knife after they were provoked by the Israeli troops.
Officials tell Anadolu Agency that the commander of 1st Division of Iraqi army and three others killed during heavy clashes.
UN envoy to Syria, Staffan de Mistura briefed the UNSC on the latest bid to find a political solution to the 4 year conflict.
A boat carrying 80 refugees broke down while carrying 80 African refugees off the southeast coast of Tunisia
Italian police believe the suspects were involved in the October 2009 bomb attack in the Pakistani city of Peshawar that killed over 100 people.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said that a new system for asylum seekers needs to be in place for an equal distribution of refugees across European countries.
UN rights chief Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein has called on the media to act against xenophobia with "freedom of expression'" being used as a guise that recycles intolerance towards refugees.
Six people were killed and five others injured from the "Zaghawa Um-Kmelty" tribe in South Darfur on Thursday at the hands of peacekeepers from the joint African Union-United Nations mission in Darfur (UNAMID).