World Bulletin / News Desk
The operator of Japan's quake-struck Fukushima nuclear power plant said on Friday it could not rule out the possibility that it may still be leaking radiation into the sea.
A massive earthquake and tsunami in March 2011 triggered fuelrod meltdowns at the plant, causing radiation leakage, contamination of food and water and mass evacuations, although the government declared in December that the disaster was under control.
The comment by Tokyo Electric Power Co follows a U.S. academic journal Science article that said high radiation levels in bottom-dwelling fish caught off Fukushima prefecture indicate continued radiation leaking from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.
Asked if Tokyo Electric, also known as Tepco, could confirm that the plant is not leaking radiation into the sea any more, a spokeswoman said: "Tepco cannot say such a thing, but we have confirmed that radiation levels are declining in both the sea water and seabed soil around the plant."
Ken Buesseler, senior scientist at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution of the United States, said in his article on the Science website that little change in radioactive caesium levels found in Fukushima fish suggested a continued leak.
"The fact that many fish are just as contaminated today with caesium 134 and caesium 137 as they were more than one year ago implies that caesium is still being released to the food chain," he said.
Fishing off Fukushima prefecture, north of Tokyo, is prohibited except for test fishing for a few species such as certain types of octopus and squid, which are shipped only when they are found to be safe.
Philippine envoy to US confirms Donald Trump's participation in meeting on regional security
Kim Jong-un demands increase in rocket production following intercontinental ballistic missile tests
The US Treasury Department slapped punitive measures on a clutch of Chinese and Russian individuals and companies Tuesday, accusing them of supporting North Korea's nuclear programme and attempting to evade US sanctions.
The weather observatory raised the storm warning to the city's maximum Typhoon 10 signal for the first time in five years as Hato approached.
Retired master sergeant, a Muslim convert, had been kidnapped during attack
Serebrennikov, 47, is the artistic director of Moscow's Gogol Centre theatre and has staged productions at the legendary Bolshoi Theatre. His films have been shown at the Cannes and Venice film festivals.
Authorities in Bangladesh, India and Nepal have put the death toll at more than 750 since August 10, when a series of deluges began spreading with the annual monsoon season.
Pakistani observers complain US president's strategy on Afghanistan completely overlooks their concerns
The government failed to get the two-thirds majority to pass the bill that has been the centre of contentious political debate and party horsetrading for nearly two years.
South Korea and US kick off annual exercise with 70,000 troops
Lt. Col. Shrikant Purohit is suspected of being directly involved in 2008 bombings targeting a Muslim-majority town
Military says 3 women among dead in attack by Abu Sayyaf group on village in predominantly Muslim province of Basilan
The centre-left Labour Party has enjoyed a huge boost in support ahead of the September 23 election after gambling on a charismatic new leader in 37-year-old Jacinda Ardern.
James Joseph Dresnok was among just a handful of American servicemen to desert following the Korean War, crossing the heavily fortified Demilitarized Zone in 1962.