World Bulletin / News Desk
UN announced Wednesday that its investigators had discovered an additional 17 mass graves in Congo's central Kasai region, bringing the total number of mass graves documented in DRC up to 40.
On April 4, the UN mission in DRC, MONUSCO announced it had discovered 23 mass graves in the area.
Kasai region, where the graves have been discovered, is an area where government forces have on several occasions clashed with Kamuina Nsapu militiamen.
Villagers, according to the statement, said that they saw army men burying killed Kamuina Nsapu men in the mass graves.
Chaos started in the region last August when a chief called Kamuina Nsapu was killed by police. After the incident, Nsapu's followers started attacking police and government offices.
UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein warned about involving the International Criminal Court unless the Congolese government carried out adequate investigations into the killing.
''Should there be no effective national investigations, I will not hesitate to urge the international community to support an investigation by an international mechanism, including the International Criminal Court," he said.
On March 12, two UN workers were kidnapped in the region. Their bodies were discovered two weeks later buried in a shallow grave.
On Thursday, Iraqi F-16 fighter jets struck ISIL positions in Syria
On Thursday, Iraqi F-16 fighter jets struck ISIL locations in neighboring Syria
Turkish Historical Society head cites research from past wars
Palestinian president stresses on 2-state solution to conflict, calls East Jerusalem capital
Israeli snipers have killed 39 protesters and injured thousands who posed no threat, says Swiss-based group
Foreign Minister Cavusoglu to address UN General Assembly on Turkey’s contributions, approach to UN efforts
At least 39 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli gunfire near Gaza border
Serbia's ambassador to Ankara says 5 government ministers will accompany Serbian president
He acted quickly -- just a day after decades of Castro rule ended and long time party loyalist Miguel Diaz-Canel assumed power as president.
Multimillion-dollar lawsuit raises issue of hacking of Democratic National Committee’s servers
Syrian regime would be 'ill-advised' to ignore message sent by last week’s allied missile strike, says US Defense Secretary
At least 39 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli interventions since border rallies began March 30
Thursday’s vote make Diaz-Canel first person outside Castro family to rule country in almost 60 years
Syrian regime had no clear picture of what was happening to them, says U.S. general, referring to U.S.-led joint attack
Hamas, Islamic Jihad announced plans earlier to boycott scheduled meeting of PLO’s National Council
Canadian provinces at war over future delivery of oil to Pacific countries