World Bulletin / News Desk
A reported White House plan that would see Secretary of State Rex Tillerson removed from office and replaced with CIA Director Mike Pompeo is "fake news", President Donald Trump said Friday.
Tillerson is "not leaving and while we disagree on certain subjects, (I call the final shots) we work well together and America is highly respected again!" the president wrote on Twitter.
The post links to a photo of Tillerson being sworn in during an Oval Office ceremony as Trump and Vice President Mike Pence look on.
Earlier Friday, the top diplomat shrugged off the report and claims he wants to resign, calling them "laughable".
Tillerson has been publicly at odds with his boss on a number of major foreign policy developments -- urging a diplomatic solution to North Korea's nuclear and ballistic missile programs as Trump urged him not to waste his time, as well as in the Gulf crisis where Trump has directed rancor at Qatar as Tillerson seeks a mediated end.
He has also been a defender of the international community's nuclear deal with Iran -- an agreement Trump pledged to scrap on the campaign trail, and has continued to lambast after taking office.
The report by the New York Times on Thursday is not the first time Tillerson has been rumored to be on his way out. In October, he dismissed claims he was planning an exit because of tensions with Trump. But the newspaper said he is intent on finishing the year before leaving.
The shakeup was planned by Trump's Chief of Staff John Kelly, according to the Times. But Kelly telephoned the State Department shortly after the story was made public to deny the report.
If the plan to remove him in favor of Pompeo is carried out, it would be the first time in more than 100 years that a top diplomat has left the post in such a short time without a change in administrations.
Trump says increasing interest rates is 'taking away our big competitive edge'
Popular protests in Iraq’s southern provinces enter second week after spreading to capital
Trump lawyer alleges payment to newspaper holding model's story was never made
Move is a reaffirmation of longstanding defense ties between the two countries, Pentagon says
Ceasefire was reached under mediation of Egypt and 'international sides', says Hamas spokesperson
Protester was killed in southern city of Najaf, says Iraq’s Health Ministry
Farc members had to deal with widespread popular anger and faced fierce opposition from center-right and right
Stone County Sheriff Doug Rader said 31 people had been aboard the amphibious vessel, known as a duck boat for its wheels that allow it to ride on land in addition to floating low on the water.
After weeks of apparently fruitless negotiations, the United States early this month imposed 25 percent tariffs on approximately $34 billion of Chinese mechanical and technological products -- sparking an immediate response from Beijing, which said it would hit back dollar for dollar.
Today marks the 44th anniversary of Turkey’s military operation on the Mediterranean island
Island divided since 1974, when Turkish army interceded under Ankara’s guarantor status to protect Turkish community
18 children among dead, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry
UN chief's Iraq envoy calls on the incoming government to prioritize 'reforms and the fight against corruption'
Greenhouse gases from waste equal to adding 2.1 million cars to roads
Organization of American States condemns Daniel Ortega in resolution
South Korean foreign minister cannot 'rule out' trilateral summit in two months