World Bulletin / News Desk
Rebels belonging to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) have threatened Turkey to withdraw its troops from the Suleiman Shah tomb in Aleppo, which is officially Turkish territory.
In a video released on Thursday, ISIL rebels said, "Although the Turkish armed forces are expected to withdraw immediately, we have given a three-day period."
"We ask them to remove the Turkish flag and withdraw the soldiers. We do not give consent to the armed forces of a secular country within the ISIL's sacred land. Otherwise, we will demolish the tomb," the statement said.
ISIL rebels recently took control of the surrounding area after defeating rival opposition group the Free Syrian Army in the mainly ethnic Turkmen region.
The Al-Qaeda breakaway group has a history of attacking and destroying the tombs of prominent figures in Islamic history, including those of spiritual and political leaders.
According to international agreements, the tomb of Suleiman Shah, the grandfather of the founder of the Ottoman Empire, is Turkish territory and is protected by Turkish soldiers. An attack on the tomb would be an attack on Turkey itself and an attack on a NATO member country, the Turkish foreign ministry and general staff previously warned.
The Turkish authorities are said to be considering all possibilities after carrying out a comprehensive evaluation and may resort to air attacks to defend the territory, which is 30 kilometers from the mainland.
Prime Minister Binali Yildirim will chair the body
Extremists target police checkpoint in Tunceli province
Ibrahim Kalin says claiming coup was staged the same as claiming 9/11 was orchestrated by US
Thousands of coup suspects to face trial after court appearance
Turkey detains Gulen's nephew after attempted coup, refresh for updates
The detention period to not exceed 30 days during state of emergency, official gazette reveals
EU has consistently criticized Turkey since the coup bid but Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has hit back saying that the EU was prejudiced and their statements contradictory
Istanbul judge Irfan Karagoz was remanded in custody on Friday
Rifles, grenades found by gendarmes near Marmaris hotel
Articles in Western media mischaracterize the state of emergency, ignore FETO's threat to democracy
Erdogan visits parliament for first time since failed overthrow
73 suspects have alleged links to Fetullah Gulen Extremist Organization
Since the power cut, US forces at Incirlik used back-up generators so they could continue aerial strikes against ISIL targets in neighboring Syria.
21-year-old Omer Halid Dervise remains in a coma after being shot from behind during July 15 coup attempt
With Turkish flags in hand, tens of thousands gather at night on Istanbul's Bosphorus bridge, the symbol of the fight against coup attempt, where tanks opened fire on civilians on July 15
For first time since July 15 failed putsch, Turkish president will inspect parts of parliament hit by bombs and gunfire