World Bulletin / News Desk
Two Philippine soldiers and two communist rebels have been killed in a recent encounter that also left 15 troops wounded in the country’s troubled south, according to the military Friday.
Army spokesman Maj. Esra Balagtey told Anadolu Agency in an email that a clash took place on the outskirts of Davao City -- the hometown of President Rodrigo Duterte -- after troops pursuing rebels ran into a landmine Wednesday afternoon.
The violence comes two weeks after the New People’s Army (NPA) -- the armed wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) -- and the government called off unilateral cease-fires declared last year.
Balagtey said Friday that 3rd Infantry Battalion troops were pursuing armed men accused of burning a pineapple harvester owned by Del Monte Co. when they ran into a landmine reportedly set up by the NPA.
The blast killed two soldiers and wounded 15 others.
Two rebels were killed in a subsequent firefight, after which two firearms, two explosives and landmine-making material were recovered, according to the military.
In a Feb. 1 statement, the NPA withdrew its unilateral cease-fire, citing the Duterte administration's “failure” to release all political prisoners and the military's alleged encroachment on territory under the group’s control.
NPA spokesperson Ka Oris, however, said the group would continue to support peace negotiations between the government and the National Democratic Front (NDF), the CPP’s political arm.
Duterte later announced the end of the government’s cease-fire and told authorities to get released NDF political prisoners who attended recent talks in Norway and Rome back in prison.
The government was supposed to resume formal peace talks with the NDF representatives this April in Oslo.
The insurgency has been running since 1968. It has claimed 30,000 lives, according to the military, and stagnated development.
Lawmakers vote overwhelmingly to extend martial law across southern island through year's-end
In a special joint session of the House and the Senate, legislators overwhelmingly backed Duterte's bid to have martial law remain in force in the Mindanao region until December 31.
Incident occurred in Helmand province where Afghan forces are mounting attacks against Taliban
Security forces allegedly committed violence during 4-month operation, says UN rapporteur on human rights in Myanmar
Chances low but island state begins campaign that includes educational ads, sirens, school drills
Supreme Court seeks report on incidents of cow vigilantism as government argues law and order is provincial issue
Communist rebels allegedly kill police chief, 4 others in Guihulngan city Friday
Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson uses Japan visit to hit out at Pyongyang ICBM test
Replaces earlier story 'US lawmaker to protest if Duterte visits White House'
James McGovern says Duterte’s human rights record should prevent him from the White House
Rodrigo Duterte visits troops still in midst of fighting Daesh-linked Maute group in southern city
18 men, 9 women, 1 child among dead in Himachal Pradesh
Seoul police announce investigation into whether woman known in South Korea as Lim Ji-hyun was abducted
Zakir Naik's passport was revoked after the 51-year-old failed to respond to a showcause notice issued to him for personal appearance by July 13.
Foreign nationals members of loan shark syndicate victimizing gambling addicts, police say