World Bulletin / News Desk
South Korea' acting president, Hwang Kyo-ahn, has demanded Thursday that the military be ready for “an immediate response” to a North Korean provocation.
North Korea has kept the world guessing since a failed missile launch Sunday. Pyongyang watchers expect a nuclear or long-range missile test by the reclusive state this month -- fueling speculation of a preemptive U.S. strike.
“I call on the military to keep close tabs on the possibility of North Korea's provocations and strengthen its [readiness] posture for an immediate response,” Hwang said at a cabinet meeting according to local news agency Yonhap.
U.S. Vice President Mike Pence warned Pyongyang not to test Washington when he was in Seoul this week, but Hwang cautioned North Korea could make a move “at any time”.
Seoul’s stance may only be temporary, however, as South Korea will hold a snap presidential election next month.
Liberal frontrunner Moon Jae-in, currently leading polls, has drawn criticism for refusing to acknowledge North Korea as the Seoul's “main enemy.”
South Korea’s Defense Ministry reminded reporters Thursday that Pyongyang’s regime and military were described as Seoul’s “enemy” in a white paper last year.
Supreme Court says 'triple talaq' has no place in Islam
Typoon Hato brought winds of up to 160 kph, evaluated as the strongest typhoon of the year
Philippines: Visiting US military chief tells Duterte North Korea missile threat alarming
Philippine envoy to US confirms Donald Trump's participation in meeting on regional security
Kim Jong-un demands increase in rocket production following intercontinental ballistic missile tests
The US Treasury Department slapped punitive measures on a clutch of Chinese and Russian individuals and companies Tuesday, accusing them of supporting North Korea's nuclear programme and attempting to evade US sanctions.
The weather observatory raised the storm warning to the city's maximum Typhoon 10 signal for the first time in five years as Hato approached.
Retired master sergeant, a Muslim convert, had been kidnapped during attack
Serebrennikov, 47, is the artistic director of Moscow's Gogol Centre theatre and has staged productions at the legendary Bolshoi Theatre. His films have been shown at the Cannes and Venice film festivals.
Authorities in Bangladesh, India and Nepal have put the death toll at more than 750 since August 10, when a series of deluges began spreading with the annual monsoon season.
Pakistani observers complain US president's strategy on Afghanistan completely overlooks their concerns
The government failed to get the two-thirds majority to pass the bill that has been the centre of contentious political debate and party horsetrading for nearly two years.
South Korea and US kick off annual exercise with 70,000 troops
Lt. Col. Shrikant Purohit is suspected of being directly involved in 2008 bombings targeting a Muslim-majority town