World Bulletin / News Desk
Montenegrin prosecutors on Thursday formally charged two pro-Russian opposition leaders and 12 others over an alleged attempt to overthrow the government during the Balkan country's election last year.
They are accused of trying to oust the government of the then premier, pro-Western Milo Djukanovic, in an effort to prevent Montenegro from joining NATO.
Montenegro's special prosecutor has said "Russian state bodies" were involved in the thwarted attack -- an allegation strongly denied by Moscow. But Washington said Wednesday that it had seen credible reports of Moscow's backing.
A group of Serbian nationals were arrested on the eve of Montenegro's election in October, and nine have already been sentenced to a few months in jail after agreeing to testify and striking a deal with prosecutors.
Mandic, who insists the coup bid was staged to discredit his party, on Thursday denied any criminal wrongdoing.
"This is a political trial set up to weaken the Democratic Front and to allow the regime to settle its accounts with the opposition," he said after the indictment was made public.
He added however that they would respond to a court summons, even though "we do not trust Montenegrin institutions".
He and his co-accused are charged with "criminal association" with a view to "committing terrorist acts" and undermining the constitutional order, according to the court statement.
The two indicted Russians -- who are at large -- are accused of organising the plot and being Russian agents.
The plotters intended to "commit an undefined number of terrorist acts" aimed at "permanently destabilising Montenegro and seizing power," the court statement said.
Montenegro is on the brink of joining NATO after Washington signed off on its accession this week, but membership of the Western alliance remains a divisive issue among the 620,000 citizens of the ex-Yugoslav republic.
Another Democratic Front leader, Predrag Bulatovic, said they would organise protests to demand fresh parliamentary elections, but not to pressure the courts.
In big win for Nigeria’s anti-corruption campaign, official sentenced over abuse of office totaling $4.4M
PM Mariano Rajoy says he will trigger Article 155 of Spanish constitution, which gives Madrid control of Catalonia
On Friday, Iraqi government forces wrested control of kıirkuk's northern Altunkopru sub-district from Peshmerga
Statement from US Embassy in Ankara comes after Pentagon condemns raising of banner of Abdullah Ocalan in Raqqah
Chancellor-designate Sebastian Kurz has not ruled out ruling coalition with anti-immigrant Freedom Party
Law forces removal of niqabs, burkas while riding municipal buses
Army also takes 2 oil fields in disputed area of Mosul, bringing number of captured oil fields to 44
Army retakes several districts from al-Shabaab, terrorist group blamed for last Saturday's deadly attack
We urge Iraqi government to calm situation by limiting federal forces’ movements in disputed areas, the spokesperson says
Tillerson, speaking one week after President Donald Trump refused to certify the Iran nuclear deal and left its fate to the US Congress, said that he would address European allies' business concerns.
Until Spain's Senate convenes to discuss the government's move to start imposing direct control over Catalonia Puigdemont "can change course, can return to constitutional legality," Martinez-Maillo said.
One of the organisers said "more than 10,000" people turned out for the march to the trades union congress building. No official figure was immediately available.
The inspection was related to "concerns that several German car manufacturers may have violated EU antitrust rules that prohibit cartels and restrictive business practices," a statement said.
Borut Pahor being tipped to return as president for second 5-year term