World Bulletin / News Desk
Pence, speaking at the Adriatic Charter Summit in Montenegro's capital Podgorica, said U.S. President Donald Trump had sent him personally to show Washington’s commitment to the Western Balkans.
Montenegro, which broke from Serbia in 2007, joined NATO in June despite Russian criticisms of the former Yugoslav republic’s move.
Moscow was also accused of masterminding an attempted coup in Montenegro in October 2016 to scupper its plans to join the alliance.
Following Montenegro's entry to NATO, Moscow hit out at what it called the country's "anti-Russian hysteria".
Pence, however, praised Montenegro for standing up to Russian pressure when it joined NATO:
"Let me assure you that the United States will continue to stand by you and jointly for your European future, whether it is an entry into NATO or the European Union, because each of these roads leads to a stronger Europe."
"Here in the Western Balkans, Russia has been trying to destabilize the region, undermining democracy and sharing you between each other and the rest of Europe," Pence added.
Pence -- the highest-ranking U.S. official to visit the small Balkan state in 100 years -- also said the Adriatic Charter, signed in May 2003 between the United States, Croatia, Albania and Montenegro, “plays an important role in bringing the Western Balkans together with Europe”.
The Adriatic Charter was established by Albania, Croatia, Macedonia and the United States to help countries which wanted to join NATO.
Montenegro and Bosnia officially joined in 2008, while Serbia gained observer status.
Ould Ghada, prominent opposition figure, was arrested last week
New Unified Combatant Command 'will strengthen our cyberspace operations'
Opposition lawmakers refuse to attend session announcing decree
The 15 council members held the commemoration at the start of a session dedicated to the crisis in Yemen.
Catalonia police spokesman Josep Lluis Trapero added that a driver who mowed down crowds of pedestrians in the first attack in a busy Barcelona street Thursday could be among five suspects later shot dead in a nearby city.
Massoud Barzani, General Joseph Leonard Fotel discuss fight against ISIL, planned referendum on region’s independence
Sergey Lavrov, Sigmar Gabriel say there is 'no alternative' to political, diplomatic solutions
UN agency says civilians in South Sudan keep flocking to Ethiopia as fight between government forces, rebels continues
Around 1,000 migrants, refugees to be moved to 18 sites across Ile-de-France region
Victim's name will not be released until family is informed, says Turkey's embassy in Madrid
For his part, Interior Minister Gerard Collomb told RTL radio that "the number of those who have been seriously injured may perhaps be even higher at around 17."
New York Police Department officials said the force would hold a press conference but declined to provide scheduling details.
Death toll feared to rise due to severe conditions of the many injured
The pickup truck, which had an improvised white wooden trailer constructed over the back, was transporting them in "overcrowded and unsanitary conditions," said a state police report seen by AFP.
At least 13 people were killed and more than 50 injured when a driver deliberately slammed his vehicle into crowds on Barcelona's most popular street -- Las Ramblas -- in what police qualified as a "terror attack."
The van attack that mowed down pedestrians on Barcelona's most famous street on Thursday killing at least 13 people was the latest fatal assault on a European city.