World Bulletin / News Desk
The trial of 14 people accused of involvement in an alleged plot to destabilize the country ahead of its joining NATO, resumed on Wednesday in the capital, Podgorica.
It will be the first time new evidence regarding Moscow’s alleged involvement is heard in open court.
Two alleged Russian intelligence agents are being tried in absentia. The twelve remaining suspects include two Montenegrin opposition leaders and a former Serbian police chief.
The High Court in Podgorica in April confirmed the indictments on charges of attempting to overthrow the government of the then-premier, Milo Djukanovic.
Alleged Russian agents Eduard Shishmakov and Vladimir Popov were accused of supporting a network of Serbian and Montenegrin citizens who planned to assassinate Djukanovic.
The case began after the former commander of a top Serbian police unit, Bratislav Dikic, was arrested in Montenegro on election day, Oct. 16, last year.
Opposition leaders Andrija Mandic and Milan Knezevic, who are charged with criminal association and undermining the constitutional order, are also among the suspects. Montenegrin lawmakers have voted to strip them of parliamentary immunity from prosecution.
The Democratic Front, the main opposition party in Montenegro, has denied the allegations, claiming the government has fabricated the case to stay in power.
Moscow also denied claims of its involvement. Following Montenegro's entry to NATO, the Kremlin hit out at what it called the country's "anti-Russian hysteria".
Montenegro, which broke from Serbia in 2007, joined NATO in June despite Russian criticisms of the former Yugoslav republic’s move.
Other counties have got involved in the row. Speaking in Podgorica last month, U.S. Vice President Mike Pence said: "Here in the Western Balkans, Russia has been trying to destabilize the region, undermining democracy and sharing you between each other and the rest of Europe."
Army uses live ammunition, rubber bullets to disperse stone-throwing Palestinians in West Bank, Gaza
"Deal of the Century" refers to a back-channel U.S. plan to settle the Palestine-Israel dispute
Interior Minister Alfonso Navarrete and Alejandro Murat, governor of the state of Oaxaca, were on their way to survey the scene of the destruction left by the 7.2 magnitude earthquake when the accident occurred, the interior ministry tweeted.
The arrival of Trump and his wife Melania came at the end of a difficult day for the families of those killed in Wednesday's rampage at a high school in Parkland, Florida, who learned that the carnage could perhaps have been averted.
Trump to consider report suggesting high tariffs or quotas on steel and aluminum imports
Tanks to be integrated into Iraqi armed forces 'within days', Defense Ministry source says.
Army uses teargas and live ammunition to disperse stone-throwing Palestinians in West Bank city of Nablus
Jens Stoltenberg speaks about recent events near the Kardak islets in Aegean Sea between Turkey and Greece
Israeli authorities arrested resistance icon last summer for allegedly 'inciting violence'
After snap election last month in Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, 4 parties form new coalition government
Rex Tillerson also plans to meet Lebanese PM and parliament speaker before wrapping up regional tour in Turkey
UN envoys of Washington and Moscow blamed each other for atrocities in Syria
Communities suffering from high suicide rates among youth, unsafe drinking water
Police identify 19-year-old former high school student Nikolaus Cruz as suspected shooter