World Bulletin / News Desk
Police on Friday recovered two more bodies of illegal miners from a disused gold mine in South Africa’s central province, bringing the death toll to 31.
A gas explosion occurred at the abandoned Eland shaft near the town of Welkom in Free State province last Thursday, killing many illegal miners and trapping several others.
“Our search and rescue operations are still continuing. So far we have retrieved 31 bodies and arrested 27 illegal miners,” provincial police spokesman Maj. Gen. Lerato Molale told Anadolu Agency Friday.
He said 27 illegal miners came out of the disused mine and surrendered to the police. “We are currently using their information to search for others,” Molale said.
He said those arrested will be charged with engaging in illegal activities and being in the country illegally.
Most illegal miners in South Africa come from neighboring countries such as Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Lesotho among others.
It is illegal in South Africa to mine without a government license or to enter an abandoned mine shaft.
There are many disused mine shafts scattered across South Africa. Major companies used to mine there before abandoning the shafts after gold deposits reduced.
The abandoned mines have now attracted hundreds of illegal miners who risk their lives daily to extract remaining scraps of gold.
Warplanes also destroy weapon depots in Gara region
Merkel’s conservative bloc remains favorite to win election, rise of far-right AfD sparks concerns over German democracy
After fruitless Erbil-Baghdad talks, Masoud Barzani says regional independence vote will be held as planned
American president's swipes at NFL star Kaepernick, NBA superstar Curry stokes fierce response on social media
Philippines claims 'big victory' on UN member-states'extrajudicial killings recommendations
Clinging to independence bid, Catalan government says its police will 'never give up exercising powers that are its own'
In light of current world and regional situation, Erbil should consider proposals to scrap referendum, says PUK official
White House official tells that “Administration will ensure we only admit those who can be properly vetted’
Political darling Luigi di Maio, 31, is the reassuring face of Italy's anti-establishment insurgency and is widely seen as having the vote in the bag.
Nearly 300,000 people visited the 2017 National Ploughing Championships outside Tullamore in the central County Offaly.
At least 286 victims killed as rescue teams continue search for survivors
Turkey ready to mediate between Baghdad and Kurdish regional administration, says National Security Council in Ankara
It’s ‘too late’ to postpone next week’s referendum, Kurdish Regional Government president says
Senator John McCain announces opposition, all but killing latest effort
The Iron from the weapons will be used in the making of three statues to honor the conflict's victims
Twice hurricane-hit US territory faced with fresh disaster as flash flood warnings continue