World Bulletin / News Desk
Turkey’s deputy prime minister said Tuesday that the Greek Cypriots on the divided island do not intend to use the fresh water provided via pipeline from Turkey to the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC).
Recep Akdag, who is also responsible for the TRNC’s economic development on behalf of Turkey, said there are currently no plans for the Greek Cypriots to use the water supplied by Mersin, Turkey.
"The Greek Cypriot side has no intention to do any work with the TRNC. Why talk about an intention which doesn’t exist?” said Akdag.
"There are even some foolish Greek Cypriot politicians and leading figures who say they would rather drink poison rather than Turkish water," Akdag said.
Akdag said that if the Greek Cypriots pursue harmonious ties with the TRNC, they could benefit from this water.
"We want the island to be an island of peace. We want to reach a solution and formation of a government based on equal rights between the two societies," Akdag said.
The project to send fresh water to Turkish Cyprus via an 80-kilometer (50-mile) pipeline under the Mediterranean began in October 2015. Under the project, some 75 million cubic meters of fresh water is set to be sent each year for a total of 50 years.
Holt, a 26-year-old Mormon missionary from Utah, had traveled to Venezuela in June 2016 to marry Thamara, whom he had met on the internet.
Parliament will convene on Monday to vote on annulling the election results amid fraud allegations
Abbas, 82, was taken to hospital last week after suffering a fever
The strike over a hike in diesel prices has caused widespread fuel shortages that have shut down urban transportation systems, crippled industries and sent prices of food and fuel soaring.
The latest conciliatory declarations capped a turbulent few days of diplomatic brinkmanship on the Korean Peninsula that had sent tensions soaring.
This is first election after deal with FARC rebels to end decades-long insurgency in country
Trump, in a tweet, did not identify Holt by name but Utah Senator Orrin Hatch confirmed that the Utah resident had been freed.
Platini was banned from all football-related activities, later reduced on appeal to four years, by FIFA following a $2 million payment he received from the body in 2011 for work he did a decade earlier, with no contract to show for the deal.
The airstrike was believed to have been carried out by a U.S.-led coalition warplane
Video shows desecration with bacon, ‘bodily fluids’
South Korea's presidential office celebrates possible resurrection of Trump-Kim summit
For 9th Friday in row, Palestinians demonstrate near Gaza-Israel security fence despite risk of violent Israeli response
Baghdad says strikes are pre-approved by regime in Damascus