World Bulletin / News Desk
President Muhammadu Buhari, who has been away in London to treat an undisclosed ailment since May 7, has said he is now fit and only awaiting his doctor’s order to return to his country.
“President Buhari says there is tremendous improvement in his health; indeed, he wishes to return home, ‘but I've learnt to obey my doctor's orders, rather than be the one issuing the orders. Here, the doctor is absolutely in charge’,” according to a statement by his media team which visited him on Saturday.
Accompanied by photographs of Buhari and his media team exchanging banters in London, the statement also quoted Buhari as thanking his country folks and other Africans for praying for his recovery.
The visit by his media team is the fourth such delegation from Nigeria in the last few weeks as tension mounts back home over the health status of the 74-year-old leader. Opposition figures and recently some Christian clerics have called on him to resign if he is too weak to continue in the saddle.
On Monday, a daily sit-out of dozens of activists calling on him to return home or resign began in the capital city Abuja. The government has dismissed the gathering as ill-motivated, insisting that Buhari has violated no law since he handed over power to vice president Yemi Osinbajo.
A counter pro-Buhari rally was also staged during the week, with its organizers alleging that the sit-out was a plot to derail the ailing president's anti-corruption agenda.
Ould Ghada, prominent opposition figure, was arrested last week
New Unified Combatant Command 'will strengthen our cyberspace operations'
Opposition lawmakers refuse to attend session announcing decree
The 15 council members held the commemoration at the start of a session dedicated to the crisis in Yemen.
Catalonia police spokesman Josep Lluis Trapero added that a driver who mowed down crowds of pedestrians in the first attack in a busy Barcelona street Thursday could be among five suspects later shot dead in a nearby city.
Massoud Barzani, General Joseph Leonard Fotel discuss fight against ISIL, planned referendum on region’s independence
Sergey Lavrov, Sigmar Gabriel say there is 'no alternative' to political, diplomatic solutions
UN agency says civilians in South Sudan keep flocking to Ethiopia as fight between government forces, rebels continues
Around 1,000 migrants, refugees to be moved to 18 sites across Ile-de-France region
Victim's name will not be released until family is informed, says Turkey's embassy in Madrid
For his part, Interior Minister Gerard Collomb told RTL radio that "the number of those who have been seriously injured may perhaps be even higher at around 17."
New York Police Department officials said the force would hold a press conference but declined to provide scheduling details.
Death toll feared to rise due to severe conditions of the many injured
The pickup truck, which had an improvised white wooden trailer constructed over the back, was transporting them in "overcrowded and unsanitary conditions," said a state police report seen by AFP.
At least 13 people were killed and more than 50 injured when a driver deliberately slammed his vehicle into crowds on Barcelona's most popular street -- Las Ramblas -- in what police qualified as a "terror attack."
The van attack that mowed down pedestrians on Barcelona's most famous street on Thursday killing at least 13 people was the latest fatal assault on a European city.