World Bulletin / News Desk
Over 850,000 refugees will receive special debit cards by August financed by the European Union and implemented by the Turkish Red Crescent, according to European Commission Humanitarian Aid Office (ECHO) in Turkey.
ECHO head Jane Lewis said the target was to access over a million refugees by September.
“As of this month, over 850,000 refugees under temporary international protection will be receiving the card and receiving the monthly transfer,” Lewis said.
“We hope that by September, we’ll have a million people under the program,” Lewis said.
“However, the actual target is 1.314 million, depending on who is eligible to receive the card.”
Lewis also said the monthly transfer for each refugee, staying out of the refugee camps and registered by the regional migration office directorate, had increased from 100 Turkish liras to 120 Turkish liras per month.
Working with Turkish and United Nations officials, the EU Humanitarian Aid Commission launched the program to curb migrant flows to the bloc and help Turkey's nearly 3 million refugees, most of whom are Syrians.
Turkey hosts more Syrian refugees than any other country in the world. The country has spent around $25 billion helping and sheltering refugees since the beginning of the Syrian civil war.
The debit cards let refugees shop at merchants with Turkish Halkbank debit card machines and withdraw money from ATMs.
Syria has been locked in a devastating civil war since early 2011, when the Bashar al-Assad regime cracked down on pro-democracy protests with unexpected ferocity.
Since then, hundreds of thousands of people are believed to have been killed and millions more displaced by the conflict.
Ismail Kahraman says terrorist YPG/PKK ambitions in Afrin, northwestern Syria 'came to naught'
Hasan Celal Guzel, 73, passed away in Ankara on Monday while undergoing medical treatment
YPG/PKK terrorists attack guardhouse in southeastern Sanliurfa; Turkish military retaliates
‘If we are strategic partners, then you will respect us,’ says Turkish president
Suspects arrested in Ankara were plotting terrorist attack ahead of spring festival of Nevruz, police source says
Operation to nab suspects has been launched in 18 cities as part of ongoing FETO probe
Emirati foreign minister's remarks have not been made 'with good intention': Turkish Foreign Ministry spokesman
Bekir Bozdag says Afrin civilians unharmed; water, medicine, food supply not prevented during Operation Olive Branch
Operation to go on until terror corridor - Manbij, Ayn al-Arab, Tell Abyad, Ras al-Ayn, Qamishli - is wiped out: President
Disaster and Emergency Management Authority, Turkey's Red Crescent distribute hot meals, food packets in Afrin villages
Culture and tourism minister says Turkey's ongoing Afrin operation will not affect tourism
Ibrahim Kalin says there is still work to do in Afrin, where Turkish troops and Syrian fighters took control on Sunday
20 Pakistanis in truck in Edirne province close to Greek border held by gendarmes
13 terrorists killed, 2 captured, 6 surrendered on March 12-19, says Interior Ministry
Hasan Celal Guzel passes away in hospital in Ankara where he was receiving treatment
Event marked historic 1915 victory and told American public about Turkey, says head of Yunus Emre Institute in the US