World Bulletin / News Desk
Egypt on Thursday criticised the U.S. decision to halt some aid to the army-backed government following a crackdown on the Muslim Brotherhood that has plunged the country into a violent political crisis.
Washington faces a dilemma in dealing with a major regional ally that controls the strategic Suez Canal and borders Israel but whose army overthrew the first freely elected president, Mohamed Mursi, after mass protests against his rule.
It said on Wednesday it would withhold deliveries of tanks, fighter aircraft, helicopters and missiles as well as $260 million in cash aid but left some other aid programmes intact.
The U.S. position highlights the dilemma and also exposes differences with key Gulf ally Saudi Arabia, which had welcomed Mursi's removal and has lavished extensive financial support to the new government.
It also raises the question of where Egypt, the second largest recipient of U.S. aid after Israel, could now turn for more military aid.
"The decision was wrong. Egypt will not surrender to American pressure and is continuing its path towards democracy as set by the roadmap," Foreign Ministry spokesman Badr Abdelatty told a private Egyptian radio station Radio FM.
The decision was made pending progress on democracy and human rights but the State Department said it would continue military support for counter terrorism, counter-proliferation and security in the Sinai Peninsula, which borders U.S. ally Israel. It will also continue to provide funding in areas such as education, health and private sector development.
The private, anti-Islamist leaning Tahrir newspaper was even bolder in its criticism, with a headline proclaiming, "Let the American aid go to hell".
The army ousted Mursi in July, installed an interim government and presented a political "roadmap" it promised would lead to fair elections.
Egypt's security forces have cracked down hard on the Brotherhood since Mursi's overthrow, crushing two pro-Mursi protest camps, killing hundreds, and then arresting scores from the group, including much of the senior leadership.
Mursi himself has been held in a secret location since his ouster. He is due to face trial on Nov. 4 on charges of inciting violence, in a move that is likely to further inflame tensions between the army and the Brotherhood.
The army-backed government also declared a state of emergency and imposed a curfew. A court order has banned the Brotherhood, Egypt's oldest and most influential Islamist group, that dominated national elections since Mubarak's overthrow.
In the latest violence, pro-Mursi supporters clashed with security forces and political opponents on Sunday, with state media reporting 57 people dead.
Raising the spectre of more bloodshed, the political wing of the now-banned Brotherhood, the Freedom and Justice Party, called for a "million-man march" on Friday to head towards Tahrir, cradle of the demonstrations that overthrew Mubarak.
Besides the political crisis that has decimated tourism and investment in the most populous Arab state, Egypt is witnessing a wave of Islamist militant attacks against security forces that has occasionally spilled over beyond the Sinai region.
On Thursday, one police and three army conscripts were killed in a car bomb attack in the region, which is near Israel and the Gaza Strip, security sources said. Militants also claimed a failed assassination attack on the Egyptian interior minister last month.
U.S. Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel called Egyptian army chief General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi to tell him about the decision, stressing the relationship's importance but underscored that Egypt must move towards democracy.
The military denies it carried out a coup, saying it responded to the will of the people.
Abdelatty, the foreign ministry spokesman, said Egypt was "keen on continuing good relations with the United States".
"(Egypt) will take decisions relating to internal affairs with complete independence, without external influences and will work on guaranteeing to secure its vital needs in a continued and orderly manner, especially with regards to national security," he added.
Egypt has for decades been among the largest recipients of U.S. military and economic aid because of its 1979 peace treaty with Israel, which agreed as a result of the pact to withdraw from the Sinai Peninsula it seized from Egypt in 1967.
The United States has long provided Egypt with about $1.55 billion in annual aid, including $1.3 billion for the military.
Following a defence ministers meeting in Brussels, US Defence Secretary Ashton Carter has said that NATO is considering joining the US-led coalition against ISIL
Army targets Nusra Front positions near Lebanese town of Arsal near border with Syria, local security source tells Anadolu Agency
An armored security vehicle struck a bomb near northern Sinai Peninsula's Sheikh Zuweid city
Relations between Israel, European Union back on track, Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesman says
Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu, has said that Saudi Arabia will be sending aircraft to Incirlik to fight ISIL.
High Negotiations Committee calls for regime, Russia to demonstrate commitment on ground
Turkish foreign minister says Russian bombs killed 16 civilians morning after Munich agreement
‘We need to see an end to the support for Assad that, frankly, is only exacerbating the situation,’ says State Dept.
The main battle is about cutting the road between Aleppo and Turkey,' Syrian president says
UAE special operations forces would help train and advise as well as arm anti-ISIL forces in Syria and local partners in Iraq
'The project of a temporary truce to halt hostilities will be examined with the rebel factions on the ground,' a leading member of the High Negotiations Committee says
Kuwait will sign a deal next week to buy Eurofighter jets, Kuwait's state news agency KUNA said on Thursday, citing the defence minister.
UN aid chief tells Saudi envoy that relief organizations were 'delivering life-saving assistance as per internationally recognized principles and will continue to do so'
Syrian Center for Policy Research data dwarfs last UN casualty figures
Peace talks had collapsed however a plan is now under way to resolve the war in Syria
The first ever formal meeting is scheduled to be held in March