World Bulletin / News Desk
Palestinian resistance faction Hamas has dismissed as "baseless" claims by an Egyptian general that the Gaza-based group stood behind a recent string of militant attacks in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula.
"These claims are devoid of truth," Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said in a press statement, a copy of which was obtained by Anadolu Agency.
On Wednesday, Gen. Nabil Abul-Naga declared that militant attacks in Egypt's Sinai "are being planned in Gaza under the supervision of Al-Qaeda leader Hisham al-Saeedani."
In his statement, however, Abu Zuhri asserted that al-Saeedani had been killed in an Israeli attack in October of last year.
He appealed to the Egyptian media and security officials to stop "the ongoing defamation campaign against the Palestinian people and resistance groups."
Since the July 3 ouster of elected president Mohamed Morsi, a leader of Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood, relations between Hamas – an ideological offshoot of the Brotherhood – and Egypt's new military-backed rulers have worsened.
Amendment allows stripping citizenship from individuals convicted of crimes related to state security
'They’ve stepped up and met those base line requirements that the United States has laid out,' White House says
Palestinian gunman shot dead by Israeli security forces
Frontier closes as Kurds vote on independence from Iraq
Airline clarifies flight from Turkey's Gaziantep province to Erbil was cancelled due to lack of passengers
Iraqis in KRG-held areas will vote on Monday on whether to secede from Iraq
The motion enables Turkish government to deploy troops in Iraq and Syria for another year
Ongoing airstrikes in northwestern Idlib province leave 35 civilians dead within last 96 hours
Rebel leaders have yet to comment on army’s assertions
The referendum runs against the constitution of Iraq, says Organization of Islamic Cooperation
State television carried footage of the launch of the Khoramshahr missile, which was first displayed at a high-profile military parade in Tehran on Friday.
Friends raised the alarm after being unable to reach Aroubeh Barakat and her daughter Halla Barakat by telephone.
Joint statement issued after foreign ministers' meeting voices 'unequivocal' opposition
Three years ago, Shia Houthi militia group and their allies overran much of the country, including the capital
Families will be allowed into the King Fahd stadium in Riyadh, used mostly for football matches, and seated separately from single men to mark the kingdom's 87th National Day this weekend.