World Bulletin/News Desk
The military wing of Palestinian resistance group Hamas on Monday vowed to take action against whoever threatened Hamas, saying it had upgraded its rocket capabilities and identified vulnerabilities in Israel's defenses.
"Whoever confronts Hamas is taking the side of the unjust and will be subject to strikes," Hammam Nesman, a leading member of the Ezzeddin al-Qassam Brigades, told a press conference in the northern Gaza Strip.
"We are not weak… and we're running out of patience," he said.
Although Nesman did not name the enemies in question, the warning came only days after an Egyptian court banned all the group's activities in Egypt.
Hamas is an ideological offshoot of Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood, the group from which ousted president Mohamed Morsi hails. Since 2007, the Palestinian faction has governed the next-door Gaza Strip.
Relations between Egypt and Hamas deteriorated sharply following Morsi's ouster last summer, with the military-backed interim authorities accusing the group of backing its ideological parent in Egypt.
A number of Hamas members have been charged in two ongoing criminal cases against Morsi for alleged espionage and jailbreak. Hamas has repeatedly denied the accusations.
Nesman also said his group had managed to upgrade its rocket capabilities and identify Israeli strategic weaknesses.
"Hamas is able to fatally hit Israel and move the battle to its heart," he asserted.
In late 2012, an Egypt-brokered ceasefire between Israel and Hamas ended eight days of cross-border fighting in which scores of Gazans were killed.
"They are implicated in affairs of corruption and suspected of plotting against state security through incitement and alleged financing of the protest movements in Tataouine and other regions," he said.
North African country typically prone to sandstorms during onset of spring
Balkan state to join alliance at Thursday's summit amid Russian criticisms
The UN children's agency said the conflict in central Kasai has disrupted food supplies and undermined medical facilities.
Security services believe the suspected bomber, Salman Abedi, was likely to have had help from others in staging the attack that killed 22 people including a girl aged just eight.
"There's a critical situation today. About 200 people fell into the water," a coastguard spokesman told AFP, while a humanitarian worker at the scene said 31 bodies had been recovered.
Annual forum on June 6-7 to discuss innovation and new policies in Mediterranean logistics and transport sectors
Jewish extremist groups called for storming Al-Aqsa complex to mark 50th anniversary of Jerusalem occupation
Trump’s much-awaited visit follows trips to Saudi Arabia and Jerusalem
Officers' vehicle targeted near border with Somali after police issue terror alert
Decision comes in wake of deadly Manchester bomb attack
Cavusoglu is expected to meet Italian President Sergio Mattarella and Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni on Wednesday
President is not honest with his national dialogue proposal, representative of former exiled vice president says
Lack of medicines and ongoing electricity crisis pose serious threat to health services: Ministry of Health in Gaza
Lawsuit says 104,000 diesel-powered vehicles involved