World Bulletin/News Desk
Egypt's Religious Endowments (Awqaf) Minister Mohamed Mokhtar Gomaa said Saturday that Turkey and Qatar had not been invited to the two-day meeting of the Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs, to kick off on Tuesday, because of what he described as their "incitement" against Egypt.
"We did not send invitations to Turkey or Qatar. We would not invite countries that incite against Egypt," the minister told reporters.
The Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs is affiliated to the Egyptian Ministry of Religious Endowments.
"I have personally decided not to deal with any Turkish official until Turkey changes its policy towards Egypt and Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan apologizes to the Grand Imam of Al-Azhar," Gomaa said.
The Egyptian minister, meanwhile, denied any crisis in the relations with the people of Turkey and Qatar.
"We continue to open the doors of Al-Azhar to Turkish and Qatari students," he added.
Relations between Egypt and Turkey have deteriorated since the army's July 3 ouster of elected president Mohamed Morsi.
In August, the Egyptian Foreign Minister criticized statements attributed to Erdogan in which he allegedly criticized Al-Azhar Grand Imam Ahmed al-Tayeb for supporting Morsi's ouster.
But then Turkish Ambassador to Egypt Huseyin Avni Botsali insisted that Erdogan's statements had been "misunderstood."
In November, Egypt downgraded diplomatic relations with Turkey to the level of charge d'affaires and recalled its ambassador from Ankara.
Turkey reacted with the same measures.
Mohamed Morsi, Egypt’s first freely elected president, was ousted and imprisoned in 2013 military coup
Opposition talks team raise humanitarian issues with Russian foreign ministry
Four other Saudis who also had "criminal records and have taken part in terror acts" were arrested following the clash on Tuesday morning, the ministry said in a statement carried by state news agency SPA.
War-torn Yemen has so far received only small fraction of $2.1 billion requested by UN, humanitarian official says
Residents of Zabadani and Madaya, two towns near Damascus under siege by government forces, will leave their homes in return for the evacuation of Fuaa and Kafraya, two mainly Shiite towns in the northwest besieged by the rebels, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
Two missiles hit a vehicle on the outskirts of the town of Mudiyah in Abyan province, killing all four people inside, the official said.
Appeal comes as Arab leaders prepare for this week's Arab League summit in Jordan
A senior Syrian government official warned on Sunday that the Tabqa Dam had already been damaged by US led air strikes
No damage reported in attack carried out by Houthi rebels in Yemen
Antonio Guterres is also expected to attend one-day Arab summit during his visit to Jordan
Local authorities blame deadly attack -- which also left three attackers dead -- on Al-Qaeda
- More than 1M patients have had operations, and 200,000 Syrian babies born in Turkey since 2011, says Veysi Kaynak
The funds will go towards seven Interpol projects including counter-terrorism, cybercrime and drugs, an official statement said.
Conflicts in Syria, Yemen and Libya are expected to figure high during Arab summit
Coordinator of International Rabia Platform says Egypt's elected president Morsi is in jail, while a 'dictator' is free
Population of northern Syrian city recovers to 80,000 after terror group was cleared in mid-February