World Bulletin / News Desk
Three people have been killed in a shoot-out between police and alleged drug traffickers in a shantytown in the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro.
Local media reported that two youths and a police officer died in the incident in the Complexo do Alemao shantytown.
Another officer and a youth were injured in the shooting, which happened in the early hours of Monday.
The shooting took place as tens of thousands of football fans are in Rio for the 2014 World Cup.
Brazilian security forces moved into Complexo do Alemao in an effort to wrest control from criminal gangs in 2012.
It is one of the largest favelas in the Brazilian city having a population of 100,000 people. It has become something of a tourist destination for visitors wanting to see the poorer parts of Rio.
Police said they had been fired at while on patrol in Complexo do Alemao. The officers alleged that the two dead youths had links to drug trafficking.
"They use radios to tell each other where there's a patrol and when they spot a small group of officers, they give orders to attack," a local policeman told O Globo.
Despite the fact that the Complexo do Alemao was among the first favelas to be "pacified" the shootings continue to be frequent in the area.
Soldiers first moved into the shanty town in 2010, and in 2012 a permanent police presence was established in the area.
One of the main concerns for the Brazilian authorities during the World Cup have been the Security along with thousands of extra troops and police that have been deployed to guarantee the safety of visitors and residents alike.
Catalonia police spokesman Josep Lluis Trapero added that a driver who mowed down crowds of pedestrians in the first attack in a busy Barcelona street Thursday could be among five suspects later shot dead in a nearby city.
Massoud Barzani, General Joseph Leonard Fotel discuss fight against ISIL, planned referendum on region’s independence
Sergey Lavrov, Sigmar Gabriel say there is 'no alternative' to political, diplomatic solutions
UN agency says civilians in South Sudan keep flocking to Ethiopia as fight between government forces, rebels continues
Around 1,000 migrants, refugees to be moved to 18 sites across Ile-de-France region
Victim's name will not be released until family is informed, says Turkey's embassy in Madrid
For his part, Interior Minister Gerard Collomb told RTL radio that "the number of those who have been seriously injured may perhaps be even higher at around 17."
New York Police Department officials said the force would hold a press conference but declined to provide scheduling details.
Death toll feared to rise due to severe conditions of the many injured
The pickup truck, which had an improvised white wooden trailer constructed over the back, was transporting them in "overcrowded and unsanitary conditions," said a state police report seen by AFP.
At least 13 people were killed and more than 50 injured when a driver deliberately slammed his vehicle into crowds on Barcelona's most popular street -- Las Ramblas -- in what police qualified as a "terror attack."
The van attack that mowed down pedestrians on Barcelona's most famous street on Thursday killing at least 13 people was the latest fatal assault on a European city.
The agreement to open the market potentially worth $10 million a year came after US Vice President Mike Pence met this week with Argentina's president Mauricio Macri.
'The beauty that is being taken out of our cities, towns and parks will be greatly missed,' Trump says
"On the side of those who combat racism and xenophobia. Our common fight, yesterday and today. #Charlottesville," he wrote on Twitter.
Senior al-Shabaab militant responsible for multiple bombings killed in operation, says information minister