World Bulletin / News Desk
NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen has said the alliance had monitored an “incursion” by Russian troops into Ukraine.
Speaking in Copenhagen on Friday, Rasmussen called on Russia to withdraw troops from the border. He added: "We see a continuous flow of weapons and fighters from Russia into eastern Ukraine and it is a clear demonstration of continued Russian involvement in the destabilization of eastern Ukraine."
Warning that Europe is becoming less stable due to tension between Russia and its neighbor, Rasmussen noted that Russia had increased defense spending by 50 percent in last five years while NATO spending had shrunk by 20 per cent.
He said: "This is an unacceptable situation. We should reverse this trend and all NATO allies should increase their defense contributions step by step.”
The NATO chief also touched on the crisis in Iraq and told reporters: “The IS [Islamic State] may create a global threat and it is in our common interest to stop this group.”
Discussing the security of NATO member Turkey’s borders with Syria and Iraq, where IS is active, Rasmussen added: "There is not yet any need for NATO involvement but if the security of a member state was threatened, NATO would certainly become involved."
Holt, a 26-year-old Mormon missionary from Utah, had traveled to Venezuela in June 2016 to marry Thamara, whom he had met on the internet.
Parliament will convene on Monday to vote on annulling the election results amid fraud allegations
Abbas, 82, was taken to hospital last week after suffering a fever
The strike over a hike in diesel prices has caused widespread fuel shortages that have shut down urban transportation systems, crippled industries and sent prices of food and fuel soaring.
The latest conciliatory declarations capped a turbulent few days of diplomatic brinkmanship on the Korean Peninsula that had sent tensions soaring.
This is first election after deal with FARC rebels to end decades-long insurgency in country
Trump, in a tweet, did not identify Holt by name but Utah Senator Orrin Hatch confirmed that the Utah resident had been freed.
Platini was banned from all football-related activities, later reduced on appeal to four years, by FIFA following a $2 million payment he received from the body in 2011 for work he did a decade earlier, with no contract to show for the deal.
The airstrike was believed to have been carried out by a U.S.-led coalition warplane
Video shows desecration with bacon, ‘bodily fluids’
South Korea's presidential office celebrates possible resurrection of Trump-Kim summit
For 9th Friday in row, Palestinians demonstrate near Gaza-Israel security fence despite risk of violent Israeli response
Baghdad says strikes are pre-approved by regime in Damascus