World Bulletin / News Desk
Turkey has denied claims that a Turkish emergency agency official was involved and killed in a recent armed attack in the Syrian town of Kobani.
"In the wake of the most recent terrorist attack on Kobani, a Syrian town near the Turkish border, certain groups claimed that one of the perpetrators killed during the clashes carried an official identification card issued by Turkey’s Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD)," said the Office of Public Diplomacy in a press release Monday.
The deadly bomb attack in Kobani on June 25 left nearly two dozens of people killed and at least 130 others wounded, sparking a new bout of fighting between Kurdish forces and ISIL after the Kurdish-majority town was overrun by the group last September.
Four days after the attack, on June 29, the rightful owner of the above-mentioned card - according to the statement - crossed the border into Turkey to identify himself to Turkish authorities.
It was established upon further review that this person was not one of the attackers who participated in the lethal assault, and therefore the perpetrator killed was not affiliated with the AFAD, the statement said.
"We strongly urge all parties to refrain from associating the AFAD, a recipient of the prestigious United Nations Public Service award, with terrorist activities," the statement added. "As a member of the international coalition, Turkey refuses to be associated with ISIL and other terrorist organizations."
Turkey shares an estimated 900-kilometer long border with Syria, with about 13 border crossings. Some on the Syrian side are now under ISIL’s control, including Tal Abyad in the Raqqa province.
At least 13 people slightly injured, says the governor of Adiyaman province's Samsat district
Eurasia Airshow to gather aeronautical professionals in southern resort city of Antalya
Around 1.4M Turkish immigrants are eligible to vote for early parliamentary and presidential elections on June 24
After defeat of FETO coup bid, no internal or external power will again attempt coup in Turkey, says parliament speaker
1 other terrorist injured during operation in eastern Tunceli province
Top government officials and politicians visit Anitkabir, the mausoleum of Turkish Republic founder Mustafa Kemal Ataturk
Security forces carried out nearly 1,400 counter-terrorism operations across Turkey over last week, says Interior Ministry
On Saturday, Turkish president said he does not want any more tensions with Greece
Afghan, Pakistani nationals among those held in Erzurum province
Turkish main opposition deputies resign to join Good (IYI) Party
Schools carry names of Turkish premier's mother and mother-in-law
Recep Tayyip Erdogan marks National Sovereignty and Children’s Day, held every year on April 23
13 coup cases ended since February 2017, when first coup-plotter appeared before judge in Ankara
After setting off from Sweden last August, Benjamin Ladraa, 25, welcomed by representatives of Turkish NGOs
'Biased' US report ignores facts, and treats terrorist allegations as real, says Turkish Foreign Ministry