Worldbulletin News

Worldbulletin News Worldbulletin News Portal


06:54, 29 May 2017 Monday
19:00, 27 November 2016 Sunday

  • Share
Militia kills 34 people in Democratic Republic of Congo
Militia kills 34 people in Democratic Republic of Congo

Mai-Mai Mazembe, a militia group formed by warlords in the east, is said to be behind the attack

World Bulletin / News Desk

At least 34 people were killed early Sunday by a militia in North Kivu province in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, police told Anadolu Agency.

Government soldiers also killed one of the assailants in the attack on Luhanga Village.

According to Paul Mbungwa, a police officer in North Kivu, the attack took place at around 5 a.m. local time (0400 GMT) when most victims were still sleeping in their homes.

''The attack has been carried out by a group of militiamen called the Mai-Mai Mazembe. So far, 34 dead bodies have been recovered.

“We expect the death toll to rise because some people were shot as they fled into the bush,' Mbungwa said.

He added the Mai Mai Mazembe militiamen had attacked the village in two groups. While one group attacked a Congolese army camp in the village, the other targeted civilians.

Tom Mbote, a survivor, said: ''I was still in bed when I heard gunshots. I immediately came out of the house and hid in a bush. That is how I managed to escape being killed.''

Mai-Mai Mazembe is one of the numerous militia groups established by warlords in eastern Democratic republic of Congo, especially in the provinces of North Kivu and South Kivu.  

 aa


Related congo
Legal Notice: Copyright, trade marks and other intellectual property rights in this website can not be reproduced without the prior permission.

  • Share

Libya extremist group Ansar al-Sharia announces dissolution
Libya extremist group Ansar al-Sharia announces dissolution

The Libyan jihadist group Ansar al-Sharia, which is linked to Al-Qaeda and deemed a terrorist organisation by the UN and United States, announced its "dissolution" in a communique published online on Saturday. Washington accuses the group of being behind the September 11, 2012 attack on the US consulate in the eastern city of Benghazi in which ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans were killed. Ansar al-Sharia is one of the jihadist groups that sprung up in Benghazi, Libya's second largest city, in the chaos following the death of dictator Moamer Kadhafi in 2011. They overran the city in 2014. East Libyan military strongman Khalifa Haftar earlier this month launched an offensive to oust jihadist fighters from their two remaining strongholds in Benghazi. In its communique Ansar al-Sharia said it had been "weakened" by the fighting. The group lost its leader, Mohammed Azahawi, in clashes with Haftar's forces in Benghazi at the end of 2014. Most of its members then defected to the so-called Islamic State group. Ansar al-Sharia later joined the Revolutionary Shura Council of Benghazi, a local alliance of Islamist militias. At its zenith, Ansar al-Sharia was present in Benghazi and Derna in eastern Syria, with offshoots in Sirte and Sabratha, western Libya. The organisation took over barracks and other sites abandoned by the ousted Kadhafi forces and transformed them into training grounds for hundreds of jihadists seeking to head to Iraq or Syria.