World Bulletin / News Desk
Bosnia and Herzegovina officially filed appeal papers on Thursday to the UN’s International Court of Justice in The Hague to revive an genocide case against neighboring Serbia.
The appeal centers on the court’s decision in 2007 not to indict Serbia on genocide charges stemming from atrocities committed during the 1992-1995 Bosnian War.
Bosnian leaders had indicated last week they would seek to re-open the case against Serbia.
Following the adoption of the application in The Hague, the identified items will be sent to Belgrade.
Meanwhile on Thursday, an extraordinary session of the Bosnian Herzegovina Council in the capital Sarajevo was halted when the body’s Bosniak member, Bakir Izetbegovic, walked out of the meeting.
Talking to reporters later, Izetbegovic said the decision to re-open the genocide case had caused tension in the country recently but added:
"We are accused of making a crisis because we did not withdraw the decision. The main crisis-makers are those who deny the genocide they committed, praise war criminals and give the names of war criminals to their dormitories."
However, Mladen Ivanic, the Serb member of the Council, said he was not worried about the reopening of the genocide case.
"It will soon be proven that the decision is not legal… decision making and parallel structuring outside Bosnia's institutions worry me the most," he said.
On Wednesday, the leader of Bosnia’s Serb entity -- Republika Srpska -- accused those behind the appeal of trying to abolish his republic.
Serbia’s Prime Minister Alexandar Vucic has also described the appeal as setting back relations between Sarajevo and Belgrade by years.
Regulators find company’s search engine gives unfair advantage to its shopping service
Trump invites Republican senators to White House to discuss path forward after bill lacks votes to advance
US Homeland Security Dept. says monitoring global hacks, stands ready to assist
The European Commission's powerful competition regulator on Tuesday hit Google with the biggest fine ever against a company for abuse of a dominant market position.
Vatican experts said Zerbo, 74, was recovering from an illness but had managed to make the trip to the Vatican to be appointed cardinal along with four others by Pope Francis on Wednesday.
Monday's hearing saw sentence handed down to Folly Satchivi as well as to another student involved in this month's demonstrations, Marius Amagbegnon.
"On Monday, we rescued about 5,000 people from four large boats, one smaller one and 18 rubber dinghies," a spokesman said.
Speaking to reporters on a military plane late Monday as he headed for meetings in Europe, Mattis said the US-led coalition was determined to keep a strict focus on fighting the ISIL group.
"Part of my political life is coming to an end. I am leaving the Socialist Party, or the Socialist Party is leaving me," the 54-year-old told RTL radio.
His comments came as rival Cypriot leaders were headed to Switzerland for a make-or-break summit aiming to seal a long-elusive peace deal for their divided island.
If the feuding main parties cannot agree to form a semi-autonomous government in Belfast by 4:00pm (1500 GMT) Thursday, then the province will be fully governed from London.
With 96 percent of polling stations tallied, the Socialists had grabbed 49 percent of the vote cast in Sunday's election. Their main rivals in the centre-right Democratic Party took less than 30 percent.
"The deceased was a serviceman in the armed forces," ministry spokesman Artem Shevchenko said at a briefing.
"As from tomorrow (Tuesday), 206 of my clients are claiming compensation of 22,000 euros each," their lawyer told Dutch late night talk show Jinek on Monday.
The bribery charge filed by Prosecutor General Rodrigo Janot swept Temer into the forefront of a giant graft scandal that has engulfed Latin America's biggest country over the last three years.
Here are five key elements of the peace accord that the sides say will end Latin America's oldest civil conflict.