World Bulletin / News Desk
Ankara will present a new document in May on its visa-free deal with the EU which if not accepted would put the refugee deal with the bloc at a standstill, Minister for EU Affairs Omer Celik said on Saturday.
In an interview with television channel CNN Turk, Celik said Turkey was doing its part in the deal with EU.
He said the refugee deal between the two sides would continue if the EU accepted Ankara’s fresh offer that would be submitted in May.
“If they accept our proposal, the [refugee] deal would be completed in a positive way, otherwise it would come to a standstill,” he said.
The EU and Turkey agreed in March last year on a plan to stop migration through illegal channels in the Aegean Sea by cracking down on human traffickers and improving the conditions of nearly 3 million Syrian refugees in Turkey.
Under the agreement, Ankara agreed to take back all Syrians who crossed into the Greek islands illegally from Turkey, and the EU promised to take in the same number of Syrian refugees from Turkey.
The agreement also called for visa waiver for Turks visiting the EU.
While the plan successfully reduced refugee flows, the European Commission demanded Ankara to fulfill seven outstanding criteria out of a total of 72, including "revising legislation and practices on terrorism in line with European standards".
Ankara has repeatedly ruled out any such revision.
Celik said it was Turkey’s right to get a visa-free regime from the EU since Ankara had done its part of the agreement.
He added that Turkey rescued the European Union and its political map by taking care of millions of refugees.
Bekir Bozdag says Afrin civilians unharmed; water, medicine, food supply not prevented during Operation Olive Branch
Operation to go on until terror corridor - Manbij, Ayn al-Arab, Tell Abyad, Ras al-Ayn, Qamishli - is wiped out: President
Disaster and Emergency Management Authority, Turkey's Red Crescent distribute hot meals, food packets in Afrin villages
Culture and tourism minister says Turkey's ongoing Afrin operation will not affect tourism
Ibrahim Kalin says there is still work to do in Afrin, where Turkish troops and Syrian fighters took control on Sunday
20 Pakistanis in truck in Edirne province close to Greek border held by gendarmes
13 terrorists killed, 2 captured, 6 surrendered on March 12-19, says Interior Ministry
Hasan Celal Guzel passes away in hospital in Ankara where he was receiving treatment
Event marked historic 1915 victory and told American public about Turkey, says head of Yunus Emre Institute in the US
Presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalin says security and humanitarian aid operations are in progress in northwestern Syria
Erdogan says ‘terror wave against Turkey’ is nothing more than efforts of reviving Canakkale campaign century after
Red Crescent president says aid agency is building on its capacity to meet today’s needs and be fit for future trends
Binali Yildirim describes motion calling on Turkey to withdraw troops from Syria's Afrin as an 'eclipse of reason'
Prosecutors demand up to 35-year jail term for Pastor Brunson for allegedly committing crimes for terror groups
Turkey-backed forces cut off main highway between Afrin city center and western Mabatli town
Migrants were attempting to travel to Europe using illegal routes