World Bulletin / News Desk
The British government appeared divided Sunday over Brexit, with International Trade Secretary Liam Fox clashing with finance minister Philip Hammond over free movement of labour once the UK leaves the EU.
With Prime Minister Theresa May out of the country on holiday, Hammond said Friday that there was "broad acceptance" in cabinet of a post-Brexit transitional period, extending current freedom of movement arrangements for up to three years.
But Fox told The Sunday Times newspaper: "If there have been discussions on that I have not been party to them. I have not been involved in any discussions on that, nor have I signified my agreement to anything like that."
In the June 2016 referendum vote to leave the EU, "We made it clear that control of our own borders was one of the elements we wanted in the referendum, and unregulated free movement would seem to me not to keep faith with that decision," said Fox.
David Jones, a former junior minister in the Brexit department, branded Hammond's transition plans "deeply dangerous".
He accused the finance minister of "going on manoeuvres" while May, weakened by the June general election, was on holiday in Italy.
"All this agitation by the chancellor and his allies is hugely discourteous to her and undermines her authority," Jones said in The Mail On Sunday newspaper.
Meanwhile Gerard Lyons, who was an economic adviser to Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson when he was London mayor, said a two-year transition period would work better.
He said Hammond's alarmism reminded him of the year 2000 when a feared "Millennium bug" was meant to make computer systems crash.
"Many of the 'risks' being highlighted about Brexit are perceived risks, not real risks. And a two-year transition would alleviate many concerns," he wrote in The Sunday Telegraph newspaper.
The Brexit negotiations between London and Brussels got under way in June, focusing on three key topics: the future rights of EU citizens in Britain and vice versa; the departure bill and the land border between the UK and the Irish Republic.
Ould Ghada, prominent opposition figure, was arrested last week
New Unified Combatant Command 'will strengthen our cyberspace operations'
Opposition lawmakers refuse to attend session announcing decree
The 15 council members held the commemoration at the start of a session dedicated to the crisis in Yemen.
Catalonia police spokesman Josep Lluis Trapero added that a driver who mowed down crowds of pedestrians in the first attack in a busy Barcelona street Thursday could be among five suspects later shot dead in a nearby city.
Massoud Barzani, General Joseph Leonard Fotel discuss fight against ISIL, planned referendum on region’s independence
Sergey Lavrov, Sigmar Gabriel say there is 'no alternative' to political, diplomatic solutions
UN agency says civilians in South Sudan keep flocking to Ethiopia as fight between government forces, rebels continues
Around 1,000 migrants, refugees to be moved to 18 sites across Ile-de-France region
Victim's name will not be released until family is informed, says Turkey's embassy in Madrid
For his part, Interior Minister Gerard Collomb told RTL radio that "the number of those who have been seriously injured may perhaps be even higher at around 17."
New York Police Department officials said the force would hold a press conference but declined to provide scheduling details.
Death toll feared to rise due to severe conditions of the many injured
The pickup truck, which had an improvised white wooden trailer constructed over the back, was transporting them in "overcrowded and unsanitary conditions," said a state police report seen by AFP.
At least 13 people were killed and more than 50 injured when a driver deliberately slammed his vehicle into crowds on Barcelona's most popular street -- Las Ramblas -- in what police qualified as a "terror attack."
The van attack that mowed down pedestrians on Barcelona's most famous street on Thursday killing at least 13 people was the latest fatal assault on a European city.