World Bulletin / News Desk
The move follows accusations that Saudi authorities were hindering the entry of Qatari pilgrims into Saudi Arabia, where hundreds of thousands of Muslims are set to perform the Hajj pilgrimage later this month.
Since early June, Qatar has been the target of a land, sea and air embargo by a four-nation bloc of Arab states led by Saudi Arabia.
In an apparent response to the accusations, the official Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported late Wednesday that King Salman had “agreed to recommendations made by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman regarding the entry of Qatari pilgrims into the [Saudi] kingdom via the Salwa land border crossing to perform the Hajj”.
The king, the news agency added, had consented to allow “all Qatari citizens who wish to perform the Hajj [into the kingdom] without required electronic permits”.
According to the SPA, the king’s decision was “based on the mediation efforts of Sheikh Abdullah bin Ali bin Abdullah bin Jassim Al Thani, a member of Qatar’s ruling family who was received by bin Salman in Jeddah on Wednesday”.
The news agency went on to report that King Salman had dispatched a Saudi Airlines aircraft to Doha’s international airport “to transport all Qatari pilgrims at his own expense to the city of Jeddah”.
Last month, Qatar's National Human Rights Committee told the UN’s special rapporteur on religious freedom that Hajj pilgrims from Qatar were being discriminated against by the Saudi authorities.
Committee head Ali bin Smeikh al-Marri called on the Saudi authorities to “facilitate Hajj procedures and remove restrictions” facing Qatari pilgrims.
On June 5, four Arab states -- including Saudi Arabia, Egypt, the United Emirates and Bahrain -- abruptly cut diplomatic ties with Qatar, accusing it of supporting terrorism.
Saudi Arabia also closed its land border with Qatar, geographically isolating the tiny Gulf state.
Doha, for its part, strenuously denies accusations that it supports terrorism, describing attempts to isolate it as “unjustified” and in breach of international law.
Suspects were indicted for sponsoring the terror groups PKK, Fetullah Terrorist Organization, and leftist DHKP/C
Tim Cook had private meeting with U.S. president to discuss White House trade policies
Foreign ministers to discuss cooperation within framework of Astana mechanism for Syria on April 28
Company bows to protests after deleting video but applies age restriction
'More violence will not bring peace and security to Afghanistan', says State Department
This is the second Palestinian journalist to have died by Israeli gunfire
Prime Minister Sharma Oli accepts that rebuilding after 2015 earthquake has remained sluggish
At least 41 Gazans were killed in anti-occupation rallies since last month
Some 6,500 Palestinians are currently being held in Israeli prisons
'Texas honors all the men and women who protect and serve our communities, and justice will be served,' Texas governor says
Police said the suspect, 25-year-old Alek Minassian, was not known to them before Monday's carnage in Canada's most populous city, which also left 15 people injured.
At least 41 Palestinians were martyred by Israeli gunfire on Gaza border since March 30
Talks are expected to tackle the possibility of U.S. troop withdrawal from war-torn Syria
Plans to roll out an appeals process globally in coming months came as Facebook provided a first-ever look at internal standards used to decide what posts go too far in terms of hateful or threating speech.
John Bolton led Gatestone Institute from 2013 until he took his White House position earlier this month
Attack ‘not part of a wider plot and there is no threat to national security’, says public safety minister