World Bulletin / News Desk
- Ihram: Pilgrims wear special outfits, which for men is a two-piece white seamless garment. Women wear loose dress, generally white, with only the face and hands exposed. During this period, pilgrims must abstain from sex and quarrelling, not use perfume and not cut their hair or nails.
- Once in Mecca, pilgrims perform Tawaf, or circumambulation, seven times counter-clockwise, around the Kaaba, a black masonry cube in the centre of the Grand Mosque.
- Pilgrims then walk seven times between two stone spots at the mosque, emulating a search for water by Ibrahim's wife Hagar in a ritual known as Sa'i.
These rituals are considered the umra, or lesser pilgrimage, and come ahead of the hajj's main rites when pilgrims head to Mina, around five kilometres (three miles) east of the Grand Mosque.
- The next day, pilgrims gather on the hill known as Jabal al-Rahma (Mount of Mercy) and the surrounding Mount Arafat plain, 10 kilometres southeast of Mina, where they remain until evening for prayer and to read the Koran.
- Stoning the 'devil' -
- After sunset, pilgrims leave for Muzdalifah, half-way between Arafat and Mina, where they stay at least until midnight. They gather pebbles to perform the symbolic "stoning of the devil".
- At the start of the Eid al-Adha feast, pilgrims return to Mina for the first of three daily stoning rites. Traditionally, seven pebbles are thrown at a post representing the devil, emulating the actions of Abraham.
Since 2004, it has been replaced by walls to accommodate the rising numbers of pilgrims and to try to avoid a repeat of deadly crushes at the site.
- After the first stoning, sheep are slaughtered and the meat distributed to needy Muslims, symbolising Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son Ishmael on the order of God, who provided a lamb in the boy's place at the last moment.
- Men then shave their heads or trim their hair while women cut a fingertip-length of their locks. After that they can end their ihram and change back into normal clothing.
- They then return to the Grand Mosque in Mecca, circumambulating seven times around the Kaaba, and again performing Sa'i.
- The pilgrims then return to Mina to continue the stoning ritual for two or three more days.
- Finally, they return to the Grand Mosque, circumambulating the Kaaba seven times.
Electoral coalitions in Iraq are often formed based on sectarian and ethnic lines
This latest crisis also prompted Japan's visiting Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, on the final stop of a European tour, to cancel talks on Tuesday with the Romanian government, Romanian officials said.
An EU official said that the bloc's finance ministers would pare down the list at talks next week, satisfied that the countries had made commitments to tax reform that Brussels will monitor.
Ex-officer's personal behavior, as well as his illegal entry, has been deemed as 'serious threat' to public order
Al-Aqsa officials are warned not to carry out any renovation work at flashpoint holy site, local official says
Republican People's Party leader Kemal Kilicdaroglu says weapons sent to Middle East will 'increase pain'
Two famous journalists and activists shared opinions on recent developments in Jerusalem, region and transformation of UN
This comes a day after similar rockets hit diplomatic enclave in capital Kabul
At least seven civilians killed in airstrikes, White Helmets director in Idlib tells Anadolu Agency
Turkish president calls on NATO to fulfill its responsibilities
Photo of blindfolded youth has become symbol of Palestinian opposition to US recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital
Tusk's comments, which European Commission chief Jean-Claude Juncker said he hoped London would heed, come shortly after talk about whether Britain should hold a second referendum on EU membership.
Suspects have been accused of making propaganda for terror group on social media
Gen. Hulusi Akar will attend 178th Military Committee in Chiefs of Defense Session at NATO headquarters in Brussels
Nationalist Movement Party leader calls on government to destroy sources of terror