World Bulletin / News Desk
- Ihram: Pilgrims wear special outfits, which for men is a two-piece white seamless garment. Women wear loose dress, generally white, with only the face and hands exposed. During this period, pilgrims must abstain from sex and quarrelling, not use perfume and not cut their hair or nails.
- Once in Mecca, pilgrims perform Tawaf, or circumambulation, seven times counter-clockwise, around the Kaaba, a black masonry cube in the centre of the Grand Mosque.
- Pilgrims then walk seven times between two stone spots at the mosque, emulating a search for water by Ibrahim's wife Hagar in a ritual known as Sa'i.
These rituals are considered the umra, or lesser pilgrimage, and come ahead of the hajj's main rites when pilgrims head to Mina, around five kilometres (three miles) east of the Grand Mosque.
- The next day, pilgrims gather on the hill known as Jabal al-Rahma (Mount of Mercy) and the surrounding Mount Arafat plain, 10 kilometres southeast of Mina, where they remain until evening for prayer and to read the Koran.
- Stoning the 'devil' -
- After sunset, pilgrims leave for Muzdalifah, half-way between Arafat and Mina, where they stay at least until midnight. They gather pebbles to perform the symbolic "stoning of the devil".
- At the start of the Eid al-Adha feast, pilgrims return to Mina for the first of three daily stoning rites. Traditionally, seven pebbles are thrown at a post representing the devil, emulating the actions of Abraham.
Since 2004, it has been replaced by walls to accommodate the rising numbers of pilgrims and to try to avoid a repeat of deadly crushes at the site.
- After the first stoning, sheep are slaughtered and the meat distributed to needy Muslims, symbolising Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son Ishmael on the order of God, who provided a lamb in the boy's place at the last moment.
- Men then shave their heads or trim their hair while women cut a fingertip-length of their locks. After that they can end their ihram and change back into normal clothing.
- They then return to the Grand Mosque in Mecca, circumambulating seven times around the Kaaba, and again performing Sa'i.
- The pilgrims then return to Mina to continue the stoning ritual for two or three more days.
- Finally, they return to the Grand Mosque, circumambulating the Kaaba seven times.
Merkel’s spokesman: Deal has significantly decreased deaths in Aegean, improved conditions of millions of Syrian refugees
EU nationals arriving in UK during transition will receive same rights as those living already there, says EU official
Mosque belonging to Muslim-Turkish association IGMG firebombed amid threats by terrorist PYD/PKK group
Phone call between two leaders comes amid flurry of diplomatic activity in region
EA19's exports and imports rise 9.1 percent and 6.3 percent, respectively, year-on-year in January
Anna Campbell becomes first British female terrorist to die in Syria
Culture and tourism minister says Turkey's ongoing Afrin operation will not affect tourism
Ibrahim Kalin says there is still work to do in Afrin, where Turkish troops and Syrian fighters took control on Sunday
The French Embassy in Tel Aviv says it was taking the case 'very seriously'
Micro Focus warned in a statement that year-on-year revenues had fallen by more than anticipated since January, sending its shares slumping 55.88 percent to 831.40 pence.
Klimkin's comments came after a similar call by the Wall Street Journal in an editorial on Friday.
The ISIL terrorist was responsible for taking by force houses of security members in Mosul
20 Pakistanis in truck in Edirne province close to Greek border held by gendarmes
The release of the three Korean-Americans is under discussion through multiple channels more than a week after President Donald Trump agreed to meet the North's Kim Jong Un, the reports said.
Although Saudi Arabia appears to be on brink of radical change, closer look at reform process reveals MBS is after power consolidation
Economy minister: Ankara 'absolutely' against Russia's limit on number of companies importing Turkish tomatoes