World Bulletin / News Desk
The chief public prosecutor's office in Istanbul issued arrest warrants for 112 municipality employees of the city on Tuesday as part of a probe into the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO).
The suspects are former and active employees of the Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality as well as of 18 district municipalities across the city, a judicial source, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to the media, said.
They are believed to have used the ByLock mobile app that was allegedly used by Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) members during last year’s deadly defeated coup.
The ByLock smartphone app is believed to have been cracked by Turkish security agencies, allowing them to identify tens of thousands of suspected FETO supporters.
So far, at least 67 suspects have been detained during the raids that followed the issuance of the warrants. Operations remain ongoing to apprehend the remaining suspects.
Turkey accuses FETO and its U.S.-based leader Fetullah Gulen of having orchestrated the defeated coup of July 15, 2016, which left 250 people martyred and nearly 2,200 injured.
Ankara also accuses FETO of being behind a long-running campaign to overthrow the state through the infiltration of Turkish institutions, particularly the military, police and judiciary.
Culture and tourism minister says Turkey's ongoing Afrin operation will not affect tourism
Ibrahim Kalin says there is still work to do in Afrin, where Turkish troops and Syrian fighters took control on Sunday
20 Pakistanis in truck in Edirne province close to Greek border held by gendarmes
13 terrorists killed, 2 captured, 6 surrendered on March 12-19, says Interior Ministry
Hasan Celal Guzel passes away in hospital in Ankara where he was receiving treatment
Event marked historic 1915 victory and told American public about Turkey, says head of Yunus Emre Institute in the US
Presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalin says security and humanitarian aid operations are in progress in northwestern Syria
Erdogan says ‘terror wave against Turkey’ is nothing more than efforts of reviving Canakkale campaign century after
Red Crescent president says aid agency is building on its capacity to meet today’s needs and be fit for future trends
Binali Yildirim describes motion calling on Turkey to withdraw troops from Syria's Afrin as an 'eclipse of reason'
Prosecutors demand up to 35-year jail term for Pastor Brunson for allegedly committing crimes for terror groups
Turkey-backed forces cut off main highway between Afrin city center and western Mabatli town
Migrants were attempting to travel to Europe using illegal routes
Suspects were insulting Turkish president, spreading terror propaganada
3,569 terrorists 'neutralized' since start of Operation Olive Branch in Syria's Afrin, says Turkish president
Operation Olive Branch in Syria's Afrin is continuing successfully: Gen. Hulusi Akar