World Bulletin / News Desk
The U.S. will refrain from returning diplomatic staff it removed from Cuba over a spate of incidents Washington believes are attacks on its personnel in the country, the U.S.'s top diplomat said in comments published Tuesday.
"I’d be intentionally putting them back in harm’s way. Why in the world would I do that when I have no means whatsoever to protect them?" Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said in an exclusive interview with The Associated Press. “I will push back on anybody who wants to force me to do that.”
“I still believe that the Cuban government, someone within the Cuban government can bring this to an end,” Tillerson said.
Washington has not pointed the finger directly at the Cuban government for the illnesses but said Havana could have worked to stop them. Cuba denies a role, or any knowledge of what took place, and has said it is investigating.
The comments followed a new interim report by the FBI that was the result of months of investigation into what officials originally termed "sonic attacks" on U.S. diplomatic staff as well as CIA operatives working under diplomatic cover on the island. The bureau found no evidence that sound waves could have been responsible for the spate of illnesses that included hearing loss and vision problems, according to the AP, which viewed the unpublished report.
The FBI is expected to continue its investigation.
One possible explanation floated by State Department officials testifying on Capitol Hill Tuesday is a virus deliberately used to target American staffers. Todd Brown, the Assistant Director for the State Department's Diplomatic Security Service, told lawmakers that he has "seen the range of what possibly could have taken place" besides acoustic attacks but did not offer evidence to support theories of a possible viral deployment.
Washington has yet to make public any evidence that would corroborate the attacks, and Cuba has doubted any attack took place.
But Tillerson told the AP he is "not sure" the assumed attacks have ended. He is required by law to form a board that will determine accountability for the mysterious illnesses.
Holt, a 26-year-old Mormon missionary from Utah, had traveled to Venezuela in June 2016 to marry Thamara, whom he had met on the internet.
Parliament will convene on Monday to vote on annulling the election results amid fraud allegations
Abbas, 82, was taken to hospital last week after suffering a fever
The strike over a hike in diesel prices has caused widespread fuel shortages that have shut down urban transportation systems, crippled industries and sent prices of food and fuel soaring.
The latest conciliatory declarations capped a turbulent few days of diplomatic brinkmanship on the Korean Peninsula that had sent tensions soaring.
This is first election after deal with FARC rebels to end decades-long insurgency in country
Trump, in a tweet, did not identify Holt by name but Utah Senator Orrin Hatch confirmed that the Utah resident had been freed.
Platini was banned from all football-related activities, later reduced on appeal to four years, by FIFA following a $2 million payment he received from the body in 2011 for work he did a decade earlier, with no contract to show for the deal.
The airstrike was believed to have been carried out by a U.S.-led coalition warplane
Video shows desecration with bacon, ‘bodily fluids’
South Korea's presidential office celebrates possible resurrection of Trump-Kim summit
For 9th Friday in row, Palestinians demonstrate near Gaza-Israel security fence despite risk of violent Israeli response
Baghdad says strikes are pre-approved by regime in Damascus