World Bulletin / News Desk
The Turkish Foreign Ministry’s spokesman Hami Aksoy expressed concern early Saturday about the Greek foreign minister's remarks regarding the Greek's attitude towards Turkey.
In a statement, Aksoy said that Greek Minister Nikos Kocias’ statement, which he gave to a TV channel on Friday, saying that Greece would show “non peaceful behavior” to Turkey was "worrisome".
Aksoy recalled Tuesday’s phone conversation between the prime ministers of both sides and said that Turkey stressed its expectation from Greece to take necessary measures to lower the tension in the Aegean Sea.
Despite the differences between the two countries, the conversation was held in a positive atmosphere and confidence building measures were discussed, as well as focusing on the solutions of the problems via dialogue, he added.
“In this framework, we once again stress that our country support the de-escalation of tensions in the Aegean Sea,” the statement said, adding:
“But, unfortunately, it seems that Greek Foreign Minister has adopted an approach that is non peaceful, crosses the line, and far from the responsibility required by his political position.”
He also called on the Greek minister to be sensible in accordance with the common wishes made by the Turkish and Greek PMs during the phone call.
According to Greek news agency AMNA, a Turkish patrol boat rammed into a Greek Coast Guard patrol boat near the Kardak islets in the southeastern Aegean on Feb. 12.
On Jan. 28, the Turkish Coast Guard blocked Greece’s Defense Minister Panos Kammenos from approaching a pair of Turkish islets in the Aegean.
Coast guard officers warned off Kammenos, who was heading to the Kardak islets in an assault boat to lay a wreath there. Following the warning, the Greek boat left Turkey’s territorial waters.
A decades-long dispute between Turkey and Greece over the uninhabited Aegean islets brought the two countries to the brink of armed conflict in 1996 and led to renewed tensions this year.
On eve of Election Day, Devlet Bahceli also warns of economic attacks and international conspiracies against Turkey
Operations were carried out in Turkish provinces of Gaziantep, Mugla, Osmaniye, Tekirdag, Nevsehir, and Istanbul
Binali Yildirim slams opposition for raising questions over security arrangements
Turkish president slams opposition presidential candidate for saying he will sleep outside top electoral body
Nearly $60M invested to organize anti-narcotic operations in 5 years, says minister
Turkish premier stresses stability, confidence in country for continued investments
Chairman of main opposition party says Turkey has to produce added-value goods
Muharrem Ince says he will establish ministry of industry, entrepreneurship
Observers from Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe plan to create chaos in Turkey, say security sources
Okkes Tetik was arrested in western Sakarya province
Turkish president speaks two days ahead of elections in joint broadcast of TRT channels
Raids take place in Turkey's provinces of Van, Hatay, Adana, Diyarbakir and Istanbul
Journalists from 34 countries receive accreditation from Directorate General of Press and Information for June 24 elections
No causalities reported so far from quake in Van province
Turkish justice minister also says reduction in number of ministries will enable faster services to citizens
First patrols by both Turkish and US troops in region began on June 18 and the second patrols on June 20