World Bulletin / News Desk
Two officers have been killed in an ongoing Egyptian army campaign against militant groups based in the Sinai Peninsula, according to a Thursday army statement.
The statement, which was broadcast on state television, did not say how the officers had been killed except to say they were slain during “military operations”.
"At least 13 militants were killed in the same operations," the statement read.
It went on to assert that in recent days 86 “terrorists and criminals” had been captured in the restive peninsula.
Since the military campaign began on Feb. 9, 12 Egyptian military personnel and 95 militants have been killed.
The Sinai operation comes in the run-up to a presidential election slated to be held from March 26 to 28 in which incumbent President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi hopes to win a second four-year term in office.
The Sinai Peninsula has remained the epicenter of a militant insurgency since 2013, when the army -- led by al-Sisi -- ousted Mohamed Morsi, Egypt's first freely elected president and a Muslim Brotherhood leader.
The attack targeted a meeting of ISIL leaders in the eastern Deir Ez Zour province
Official results of Iraq’s parliamentary election have been dogged by controversy and allegations of vote-rigging
Threat comes after EU announced 25 percent tariff on US products
Armed terrorists ‘neutralized’ in northern Iraqi region of Gara
Palestinians have been holding mass rallies near Gaza-Israel security fence since March 30
Police report states driver of car that killed pedestrian in Arizona was streaming television show
Decision follows Trump's pledge to end “war games” during Singapore summit
Conservative bill was widely expected to fail in the chamber
Washington urges Moscow to reign in ally amid offensive in de-escalation zone
‘Koko touched lives of millions as an icon for interspecies communication and empathy’, Gorilla Foundation says
Nato Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg says they will look into strengthening transatlantic bond in summit next month
Administration to no longer require immediate legal proceedings for undocumented adults who cross illegally with children
Trump administration makes request following backlash over its immigration policy
President says he will take ‘preemptive’ action to halt the actions that have drawn widespread criticism