World Bulletin / News Desk
After facing a series of legal setbacks, President Donald Trump said Thursday he would soon unveil a new executive order to replace his ban on immigration and refugees from seven Muslim-majority countries.
"We're going to put in a new executive order next week some time," Trump said during a White House press conference.
The U.S. Ninth Circuit Court rejected Trump's order, questioning its constitutionality and the administration's rationale, which Trump said was "a bad decision".
Specifically, a three-judge panel said the administration failed to present any evidence that citizens of Iran, Iraq, Libya Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen had ever carried out a terrorist attack in the U.S.
The judges also said states that challenged the order, which many have criticized as a Muslim ban, raised serious concerns that it targeted Muslims.
Trump infamously claimed on the campaign trail he would bar Muslim immigration because of security concerns -- a plan he later revised to focus on "extreme vetting" of individuals from countries of concern.
In court documents filed Thursday, the Trump administration said it would not seek a larger review by the court after the panel's decision.
"Rather than continuing this litigation, the President intends in the near future to rescind the Order and replace it with a new, substantially revised Executive Order to eliminate what the panel erroneously thought were constitutional concerns," the administration said in court documents.
"In so doing, the President will clear the way for immediately protecting the country rather than pursuing further, potentially time-consuming litigation," it said.
Trump has come under intense criticism for saying the court's decision jeopardized American security, and for calling judges "so-called" judges after they ruled against him.
The comments prompted renewed concerns about Trump's respect for the independent judiciary.
Paying his first visit to Afghanistan as Pentagon chief, Mattis met with President Ashraf Ghani and other officials and US military commanders.
Amnesty International quickly condemned Ahmed Abba's sentence -- he was further convicted of "laundering the proceeds of terrorist acts," and was fined a sum equivalent to around 85,000 euros.
The warrant, first issued in 2013 by the International Criminal Court (ICC), charges Al-Tuhamy Mohamed Khaled, once head of Libya's internal security agency, with three charges of war crimes and four crimes against humanity.
Ankara prosecutors' probe follows president's complaint over ex-French diplomat suggesting his assassination
Experts running the probe said they could not rule out other carmakers besides Volkswagen using cheating devices in test conditions.
Muslims must choose the one who defends fraternity among citizens, not discord or hatred, says head of Paris Grand Mosque
Police record more than 23,500 far-right offences last year; nearly 1,700 of them are violent attacks
Every guest worker who retired and went back to Turkey are ambassadors for Germany, according to Offenbach business leader
Eight of the bodies were recovered in Greek waters while the Turkish coastguard found another seven bodies, a Greek coastguard spokeswoman said.
French president warns of risks if far-right candidate, Marine Le Pen, comes to power
Athens on April 7 accepted in principle a tough set of new reform and tax measures in return for fresh cash to avert a possible debt default in July.
Here is a look at those who were still a little wet behind the ears when they attained high executive office.
The OSCE suffered its first casualty in the three-year war in Europe's backyard after an armoured vehicle hit a landmine Sunday in the Russian-backed separatist fiefdom of Lugansk.
"We respect the choice of the French people. We are in favour of building good and mutually beneficial relations," said Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov, quoted by state-run RIA Novosti news agency.
Military blames attack on Nigerian ISIL-linked terrorist group Boko Haram
Building the wall was Trump's signature campaign promise, and the White House appeared determined to get Congress to approve a down payment as part of a bigger bill to keep the US government funded.