World Bulletin / News Desk
The FBI is investigating Russia's interference in last year's U.S. presidential election, as well as any ties between Moscow and the Trump campaign, Director James Comey said on Monday.
"The FBI as part of our counterintelligence mission is investigating the Russian government's efforts to interfere in the 2016 presidential election," he told lawmakers while testifying on Capitol Hill.
"That includes investigating the nature of any links between individuals associated with the Trump campaign and the Russian government, and whether there was any coordination between the campaign and Russia's efforts," he said.
The public confirmation of an ongoing classified FBI investigation is incredibly rare, but Comey said it was in the public interest to do so.
This investigation will include an assessment of whether any crimes were committed, Comey said, noting that further details in the public setting would be sparse due the nature of the inquiry.
Depending on its results, the probe could be a boon to either party.
Democrats have long called foul over Russia's confirmed influence on the campaign last year, while Republicans have sought to downplay the effects.
U.S. intelligence officials concluded in January that Russia sought to influence the election in favor of President Donald Trump in a campaign directed by Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Trump has acknowledged the efforts, but has claimed they had "absolutely no effect" on the vote results.
The hacking of the Democratic National Committee (DNC) as well as Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta revealed unsavory details about how the supposedly neutral organization conspired to favor Clinton against populist Bernie Sanders to win the Democratic Party’s nomination for president.
Regular leaks of DNC and Clinton emails in the months leading up to the Nov. 8 poll cemented a popular narrative that the first female presidential nominee of a major party was not trustworthy.
Comey further said he has no information to substantiate Trump's allegations that former President Barack Obama had his "wires tapped" at Manhattan's Trump Tower.
"How low has President Obama gone to tapp my phones during the very sacred election process. This is Nixon/Watergate. Bad (or sick) guy!" Trump said in a series of March 4 tweets, misspelling "tap".
"We have no information that supports them," Comey said, referring to Trump's tweets.
"No individual in the United States can direct electronic surveillance of anyone," he added, noting that the process to do so would include approval from a judge.
Catalonia police spokesman Josep Lluis Trapero added that a driver who mowed down crowds of pedestrians in the first attack in a busy Barcelona street Thursday could be among five suspects later shot dead in a nearby city.
Massoud Barzani, General Joseph Leonard Fotel discuss fight against ISIL, planned referendum on region’s independence
Sergey Lavrov, Sigmar Gabriel say there is 'no alternative' to political, diplomatic solutions
UN agency says civilians in South Sudan keep flocking to Ethiopia as fight between government forces, rebels continues
Around 1,000 migrants, refugees to be moved to 18 sites across Ile-de-France region
Victim's name will not be released until family is informed, says Turkey's embassy in Madrid
For his part, Interior Minister Gerard Collomb told RTL radio that "the number of those who have been seriously injured may perhaps be even higher at around 17."
New York Police Department officials said the force would hold a press conference but declined to provide scheduling details.
Death toll feared to rise due to severe conditions of the many injured
The pickup truck, which had an improvised white wooden trailer constructed over the back, was transporting them in "overcrowded and unsanitary conditions," said a state police report seen by AFP.
At least 13 people were killed and more than 50 injured when a driver deliberately slammed his vehicle into crowds on Barcelona's most popular street -- Las Ramblas -- in what police qualified as a "terror attack."
The van attack that mowed down pedestrians on Barcelona's most famous street on Thursday killing at least 13 people was the latest fatal assault on a European city.
The agreement to open the market potentially worth $10 million a year came after US Vice President Mike Pence met this week with Argentina's president Mauricio Macri.
'The beauty that is being taken out of our cities, towns and parks will be greatly missed,' Trump says
"On the side of those who combat racism and xenophobia. Our common fight, yesterday and today. #Charlottesville," he wrote on Twitter.
Senior al-Shabaab militant responsible for multiple bombings killed in operation, says information minister