World Bulletin / News Desk
The death toll from the Grenfell Tower block fire in west London has reached 79, the Metropolitan Police confirmed Monday.
"As of this morning, I'm afraid to say there are now 79 people that we believe are either dead or missing and I sadly have to presume are dead," Cmdr. Stuart Cundy told reporters in London ahead of a minute's silence for the victims of last Wednesday's catastrophe in North Kensington.
Cundy said five people had been formally identified so far, adding the police might not be able to identify everybody that died "due to the intensity of the fire and the devastation within Grenfell Tower".
Police had announced the death toll as 58 on Saturday, and confirmed that a 23-year-old Syrian refugee was the first victim of the huge fire. Mohammad Alhajali was initially identified last Thursday by a Syrian solidarity group he worked for.
Having ordered an emergency aid package for the fire survivors and a full public inquiry into the incident, Prime Minister Theresa May held a meeting Saturday with some of the survivors and family members of victims at a government office.
A protest calling more effective action to help the survivors was staged in front of the Downing Street on Saturday afternoon, following two protests earlier last week.
About 200 refugees moved to camps in capital Athens due to poor conditions
Oil Minister Jabbar Al-Luiebi also says oil production of Basra and southern fields have increased
US will soon transition into a new phase in Syria, says US President Donald Trump
US State Department spokeswoman made a statement on Friday, calling on both KRG and Iraqi government to cease violence
New offensive, reportedly to launch Saturday, aims to drive fighters from their strongholds
In big win for Nigeria’s anti-corruption campaign, official sentenced over abuse of office totaling $4.4M
PM Mariano Rajoy says he will trigger Article 155 of Spanish constitution, which gives Madrid control of Catalonia
On Friday, Iraqi government forces wrested control of kıirkuk's northern Altunkopru sub-district from Peshmerga
Statement from US Embassy in Ankara comes after Pentagon condemns raising of banner of Abdullah Ocalan in Raqqah
Chancellor-designate Sebastian Kurz has not ruled out ruling coalition with anti-immigrant Freedom Party
Law forces removal of niqabs, burkas while riding municipal buses
Army also takes 2 oil fields in disputed area of Mosul, bringing number of captured oil fields to 44
Army retakes several districts from al-Shabaab, terrorist group blamed for last Saturday's deadly attack