World Bulletin / News Desk
Flooding and mudslide in Sierra Leone last month cost approximately $30 million to the country's economy, a report by World Bank said.
According to the report presented by World Bank’s country director to Sierra Leone president Monday, the country would need about $82 million to rehabilitate and resettle affected communities in short-, medium- and long-terms.
Henry Kerali, World Bank’s country director to Sierra Leone, said: “The initial findings of the physical flood disaster indicates that the actual damage cost is $30 million including housing, education, health and other infrastructure destroyed in the affected areas.
“For the lives lost, we cannot replace them, but the World Bank will work with the Government of Sierra Leone to help stabilize the country,” Kirali told President Ernest Bai Koroma at a state house briefing.
The report said that a total of 503 people were killed in flood-related incidents.
It further established that the Aug. 14 landslides and floods occurred as a result of climate change and deforestation around the mountain areas.
The attack targeted a meeting of ISIL leaders in the eastern Deir Ez Zour province
Official results of Iraq’s parliamentary election have been dogged by controversy and allegations of vote-rigging
Threat comes after EU announced 25 percent tariff on US products
Armed terrorists ‘neutralized’ in northern Iraqi region of Gara
Palestinians have been holding mass rallies near Gaza-Israel security fence since March 30
Police report states driver of car that killed pedestrian in Arizona was streaming television show
Decision follows Trump's pledge to end “war games” during Singapore summit
Conservative bill was widely expected to fail in the chamber
Washington urges Moscow to reign in ally amid offensive in de-escalation zone
‘Koko touched lives of millions as an icon for interspecies communication and empathy’, Gorilla Foundation says
Nato Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg says they will look into strengthening transatlantic bond in summit next month
Administration to no longer require immediate legal proceedings for undocumented adults who cross illegally with children
Trump administration makes request following backlash over its immigration policy
President says he will take ‘preemptive’ action to halt the actions that have drawn widespread criticism