World Bulletin/News Desk
Iran has warned the United States not to resort to military action a gainst it, saying U.S. bases in the region were vulnerable to the Islamic Republic's missiles, state media reported on Saturday.
The comments by a senior Iranian military commander were an apparent response to U.S. officials who have said Washington was ready to use military force to stop what it suspects is Iran's goal to develop a nuclear weapons capability.
World powers held talks with Iran in Baghdad on May 23-24 in an attempt to find a diplomatic solution to their concerns over its nuclear programme, which Tehran maintains is entirely peaceful. Another round was set for June 18-19 in Moscow.
"The politicians and the military men of the United States are well aware of the fact that all of their bases (in the region) are within the range of Iran's missiles and in any case ... are highly vulnerable," Press TV reported Brigadier-General Yahya Rahim Safavi as saying.
Safavi is a military adviser to Iran's clerical Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and was until 2007 the commander in chief of Iran's Revolutionary Guards, the force that protects Iran's Islamic system of governance.
He also warned that Iranian missiles could reach all parts of Israel but played down any possibility of military action against his country as "faint" because of the current economic condition of the United States.
Tehran has previously threatened to close the Strait of Hormuz - a vital crude shipping lane - if it is attacked, which experts say would result in a spike in the price of oil and could hit the U.S. economy as it seeks to recover from the financial crisis.
Last month the U.S. ambassador to Israel, Dan Shapiro, said plans for a possible military strike on Iran were ready and the option was "fully available".
U.S. Secretary of State Hilary Clinton said Iran needed to take steps to curb its nuclear activities during the next round of talks in Moscow. Israel is sceptical any progress can be made and has accused Tehran of simply buying time.
An Israeli general has said that Hamas has aided ISIL in Egypt by smuggling wounded through tunnels into Gaza from Sinai
US and allies struck ISIL 24 times in various locations around Syria and Iraq
UNESCO upset with ISIL selling and destroying precious historic heritage
Sunnis and Shias come together for Friday prayer in Grand Mosque of Kuwait, after deadly attack
Syrian government forces have killed more than 100 opposition fighter in the northern city of Aleppo.
No breakthrough was achieved after Tehran talks by the U.N. nuclear watchdog
The UN plans to make a humanitarian pause in Yemen so those in need can receive aid
Syrian opposition groups launch battle to seize government-held Aleppo
Russian and Chinese officials are positive over the positive outcome of nuclear talks with Iran
Syrian activist Ahmed al Hajj Salih has said that the pro-Kurdish People's Defense Unit (YPG) is plundering homes of civilians and forcing Syrian Arabs in Tal Abyad to migrate
Turkey has taken precautions to protect its border but nocross-border operation is being planned
Amnesty International released a report that the Saudi Arabia-led coalition has done anything to prevent civilian killings
Egyptian security forces have shot dead 13 Muslim Brotherhood members in an unprovoked attack.
Egypt launched air strikes killing 23 a day after the clashes in the North Sinai
British Prime Minister David Cameron's spokeswoman has said that growing evidence of ISIL posing a threat to the UK should be considered as a factor for joining against ISIL.
Different UN branches expressed their concerns about the deteriorating humanitarian situation in Yemen