World Bulletin / News Desk
Two people were taken into custody and detention warrants were issued for two others, including former head of the Higher Education Board (YÖK) Kemal Gürüz, on Friday as part of the sixth wave of operations in a deepening investigation into the Feb. 28, 1997 unarmed military intervention, popularly known as the postmodern coup.
This was the first time civilian figures had been targeted in a Feb. 28 operation.
The Specially Ankara Public Prosecutor’s Office announced that detention warrants had been issued for Gürüz and two former board members of the YÖK, identified as Sedat Arıtürk and Erdoğan Özmal, as well as retired Maj. Gen. Kenan Deniz. The suspects are all accused of playing a major role in the Feb. 28 coup, when the military forced a coalition government led by a now-defunct conservative party, the Welfare Party (RP), out of power. The detention warrants were issued for the suspects in accordance with the relevant article of the Turkish Penal Code (TCK) over charges of attempting to topple the government of the Turkish Republic, according to the prosecutor’s office.
Police raided the houses of Deniz and Arıtürk, and took the two men into custody in the afternoon on Friday. They also raided the house of Gürüz and Özmal, but failed to find them inside. The two detainees immediately underwent a health check-up, and then taken to the İstanbul Courthouse in Çağlayan neighborhood to be interrogated by prosecutors. The two men would later be sent to Ankara for a more detailed interrogation.
The Feb. 28 coup introduced a series of harsh restrictions on religious life, with an unofficial but widely practiced ban on the use of the headscarf. The military was also purged of members with suspected ties to religious groups or even officers who were simply observant Muslims. In addition, a number of newspapers were closed down after the coup based on an National Security Council (MGK) decision that called for closer monitoring of media outlets.
Around 60 people have already been imprisoned during the first five waves of arrests in the Feb. 28 investigation. Those sent to jail include Gen. Çevik Bir, who is known to have played a major role in the 1997 coup, and retired Gen. Erol Özkasnak, who was the secretary-general of the General Staff at the time. Özkasnak is also known to have played a major role in the coup generals' communication with the media, which was used in order to put pressure on the government to resign.
Since 2011, more than 2,600 Afghan policemen and women have trained in Turkey
Monday’s dailies cover terrorist attacks in southeastern Turkey as well as Labor Day celebrations across country
According to preliminary reports, some injuries have been reported in attack in Diyarbakir province’s Dicle district
Six of 17 suspects involved in Wednesday's Bursa suicide blast have been remanded in custody
An e-Food card has been introduced in Turkey three years ago to better secure Syrian refugees' needs
Almost 24,500 police officers are on duty in Turkey's largest city
Suspected car bomb in Gaziantep, southeastern Turkey, martyrs officer, injures police and civilians
Ankara officers detain four people accused of preparing an attack during International Labor Day demonstrations
PM Davutoglu says terror groups like PKK, ISIL and DHKP-C have been working in tandem against Turkey
'Our goal is to be totally self-sufficient by 2023,' Turkish president says
Numerous roads and extra police have been stationed in preparation for May Day in Istanbul
The Turkish military has confirmed one soldier has died in anti-PKK operation in southern Turkey
The Muslim philosopher and national poet of Pakistan has been commemorated in Turkey in a ceremony in the capital
Turkish president commemorates a historic battle between the Ottoman Army and British forces 100 years ago
Gurbulak-Bazargan customs gate between Iran and Turkey to be rebuilt, Turkish trade minister Tufenkci says