World Bulletin/News Desk
Ethiopia plans to keep its troops in Somalia until the Horn of Africa country ratifies a constitution and its military is able to fend off threats on its own, an official said on Friday, signalling a change in policy.
Addis Ababa rolled hundreds of troops across its border in November to open up a third front against the al Shabaab group but was keen to point out their incursion is not a repeat of their ill-fated 2006-2009 war in Somalia.
Ethiopian officials have said their troops would only be deployed for a brief period to fight the group who are also fighting thousands of Ugandan and Burundian troops under the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM), as well as Kenyan forces to the south.
"It (Ethiopia) will remain (in Somalia) until the Transitional Government (of Somalia) has adequately organised itself to fend off any attack from hostile forces," government spokesman Shimeles Kemal told reporters.
"There is no current plan to evacuate from Somalia until such time that a proper Somali constitution is ratified by all parties to the conflict, and until the constituent assembly will ratify the constitution," Shimeles sa i d.
Last June Somalia's feuding leaders agreed to extend the mandate of a transitional government for a year rather than hold elections, a move sought by Uganda which has peacekeepers stationed in the anarchic state.
The mandate for Somalia's latest administration was meant to expire in August 2011 but President Sheikh Sharif Ahmed and speaker Sharif Hassan Sheikh Aden had been at loggerheads over what should happen then, and agreed to defer elections.
"They are implicated in affairs of corruption and suspected of plotting against state security through incitement and alleged financing of the protest movements in Tataouine and other regions," he said.
North African country typically prone to sandstorms during onset of spring
Balkan state to join alliance at Thursday's summit amid Russian criticisms
The UN children's agency said the conflict in central Kasai has disrupted food supplies and undermined medical facilities.
Security services believe the suspected bomber, Salman Abedi, was likely to have had help from others in staging the attack that killed 22 people including a girl aged just eight.
"There's a critical situation today. About 200 people fell into the water," a coastguard spokesman told AFP, while a humanitarian worker at the scene said 31 bodies had been recovered.
Annual forum on June 6-7 to discuss innovation and new policies in Mediterranean logistics and transport sectors
Jewish extremist groups called for storming Al-Aqsa complex to mark 50th anniversary of Jerusalem occupation
Trump’s much-awaited visit follows trips to Saudi Arabia and Jerusalem
Officers' vehicle targeted near border with Somali after police issue terror alert
Decision comes in wake of deadly Manchester bomb attack
Cavusoglu is expected to meet Italian President Sergio Mattarella and Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni on Wednesday
President is not honest with his national dialogue proposal, representative of former exiled vice president says
Lack of medicines and ongoing electricity crisis pose serious threat to health services: Ministry of Health in Gaza
Lawsuit says 104,000 diesel-powered vehicles involved