World Bulletin/News Desk
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad issued a decree to form a new government on Saturday, shaking up many cabinet posts but keeping the heads of the interior, defence and foreign ministries, state television reported.
The reappointment of Defence Minister Daoud Rajha will quash widespread rumours, previously denied by the government, that he had been assassinated by rebels who are struggling to bring down President Bashar al-Assad's rule.
The 16-month uprising, which has faced a brutal government crackdown, is increasingly being termed a civil war by foreign observers. Assad argues he is pursuing reforms even as he fights a revolt he says is led by foreign-backed militants.
But critics say Assad's appointment of Riyad Hijab as prime minister earlier in June was a sign the president was turning to hardline loyalists. Hijab formed the new government given Assad's approval, Syria TV said on Saturday.
Hijab, a former agriculture minister, is a committed member of Assad's Baath Party, which has ruled Syria for nearly four decades since his father Hafez al-Assad took power in 1970.
Most of the top government posts were given to Baathist loyalists. Critics consider the cabinet to be largely symbolic and say power in Syria remains in the hands of Assad and his close inner circle of family and security force elites.
The new cabinet follows a May 7 parliamentary election which Assad said was part of the path to reform but the opposition boycotted as a sham, insisting the president must step down.
Other than Rajha, the ministers to retain their post were Interior Minister Mohammed Ibrahim al-Shaar and Foreign Minister Walid al-Moualem.
Several new ministries were created in the new cabinet.
The moderate Qadri Jamil, a centrist who has said he is speaking both to the government and to rebels, was appointed minister of internal commerce and consumer protection. The post is newly formed and likely to be mostly ceremonial.
No group has yet claimed responsibility for Tuesday’s attack
"The sunken boat was pulled out half an hour ago,", Wahdan al-Sayed, spokesman for Beheira province in northern Egypt said.
Regime and Russian airstrikes killed more than 400 people, injured hundreds in Aleppo since Sept. 19
Aleppo residents have told the Middle East Eye news service that Russian 'bunker buster' bombs are making ground shake like an earthquake
Sunday's killing of prominent writer accused of showing contempt for religion sparks protests in Jordan’s capital
"I think now it's not a question of talking about a ceasefire," Major General Ahmed Assiri said.
Former SDF figure says PKK commanders want to head towards Turkey after establishing cantons in Syria
Two rounds of UN-brokered peace talks failed to end the Yemeni conflict
Meshaal, 60, was elected the head of Hamas’ political bureau in 1996
Opposition forces now stand 15 kilometers away from Hama city, which has a military airport
Palestinian prisoners announce three-day hunger strike in protest against Hamdouna's death
The Security Council was set to meet Sunday to discuss the upsurge in violence since the Syrian army announced an offensive to retake the rebel-held east of the devastated city.
More than 900 square kilometers have been cleansed of extremists in northern Syria, according to the Turkish army
Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov says hard to believe US-led coalition forces forgot locations during Sept. 17 airstrike
Egyptian authorities have not yet released any official statement on the reported arrests
Saturday’s verdicts are still subject to appeal