World Bulletin/News Desk
Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu held a meeting with commanders from Turkey's military and the head of the intelligence service to discuss what steps Turkey would take after Syria shot down one of its military aircraft, media reported.
The meeting lasted two hours and was attended by the military's deputy chief of staff, senior military commanders and the head of the National Intelligence Agency, who also discussed the search operation for the missing pilots, media reported citing the Foreign Ministry.
They gave no further details.
Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Bulent Arinc said earlier on Saturday a jet that was shot down by Syria a day earlier was not a warplane but a reconnaissance aircraft, state television TRT reported.
Turkish media reported the downed jet was an F-4 Phantom, a supersonic jet fighter which can also carry out reconnaissance operations.
Arinc also said that Syria was expected to make a statement on its shooting down of a Turkish military jet over the southwest of southern province of Hatay.
Arinc said five Turkish helicopters and ships were searching the two crew members aboard the jet, stating that Syria also took part in searching efforts. Arinc said that they hoped that crew members would be found alive.
Turkish president lashes out at US Central Command chief who says post-coup purge might affect relations
Social Security Institution to pay monthly salaries on top of one-time compensation to victims of July 15 failed coup
Seyit Ali Gumustas spent evening treating wounded on Bogazici (Bosphorus) Bridge
Binali Yildirim says Akinci Air Base in Ankara, center for July 15 coup-plotters, will be closed
In an interview, Ilknur Inceoz tells how members of Turkish parliament responded to failed coup
Turkey wants to export 15.7 billion cubic meters of natural gas, Russian Energy Minister Novak says
In letter to Turkish-US friendship group, co-chairman says Turkey's respect for rule of law will not be compromised
16 others suspended from duty over alleged links to Fetullah Gulen, accused of being behind July 15 coup attempt
Three businessmen linked to Fethullah Gulen have been arrested the coup
Central Command chief says post-coup purge might effect Turkey-US military cooperation
Following end of third round in Ankara, fourth round will be held in Islamabad in August
Turkey asks Germany to extradite Gulenist prosecutors
Upward trend reflects Turkish people's trust in economy was undamaged by July 15 coup attempt, according to analysts
Interior minister says bulk in pre-trial custody are military members, as well as judges, prosecutors, police
Number of civil servants suspended for alleged links to FETO coup attempt rises to 51,332