World Bulletin/News Desk
The governor of Italy's Lombardy region, an ally of former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, denied on Saturday a media report that he is under investigation in a probe over alleged bribes paid by a private health group to obtain favourable contracts.
Milan-based daily Corriere della Sera said in its Saturday edition that Roberto Formigoni, the governor of Italy's wealthiest region, had been placed under investigation amid allegations that a private company running some of the region's clinics contributed 500,000 euros to his 2010 election campaign.
Formigoni told a news conference the Corriere report that he was under investigation was "groundless" and that he had received no notification of a probe against him by magistrates.
"I am not aware of this investigation," he said, adding he would not resign even if the reports were confirmed.
"I am saying with certainty that the news in Corriere is false."
It was not immediately possible to independently verify the report.
Six people have been arrested in the corruption case, including a businessman who, according to prosecutors, paid for Formigoni's holidays. Formigoni, a prominent member of Berlusconi's PDL party, denies any wrongdoing.
The Lombardy corruption probe is the latest in a string of scandals that have hit Italy's main political parties in the past few months, driving public confidence in politicians to rock-bottom levels ahead of national elections expected by spring 2013.
Moreno, who took office this month, has struck a more critical tone toward Assange than his predecessor, Rafael Correa, who said earlier his country had "done its duty" by granting Assange asylum in 2012.
Masked and helmeted protesters hurled stones and petrol bombs at riot cops who fired tear gas, water cannon and buckshot as demonstrators tried to advance toward the state ombudsman's office in central Caracas.
Mukhametshin confirmed that he received the note, but declined to comment further.
The sharp words from Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel came after Trump concluded his first official tour abroad which took him to Saudi Arabia, Israel, Brussels and then Italy for a G7 summit.
Muhammadu Buhari and his deputy Yemi Osinbajo were sworn into office on May 29, 2015, two months after securing the first opposition victory against a sitting president in Nigerian history.
This gives Mariano Rajoy considerable breathing space until 2019, as if he fails to get the necessary agreements for next year's budget the constitution allows him to simply renew the previous spending plan.
After playing handshake power games with US President Donald Trump at his first international summit last week, 39-year-old Macron hosts the Russian leader in the splendour of Versailles outside Paris.
A government source and another official from the interior ministry said Nasser Zefzafi, who had been on the run since Friday, had been taken into custody.
MI5 to examine how it failed to react to information about extremist views of Manchester attacker
"It's necessary to create a eurozone budget. And this will not be possible without creating a parliament for the currency union, in order to make spending subject to democratic control," Pierre Moscovici said.
Hours of waiting for treatment, angry patients and broken equipment have become chronic problems.
"He died at 0100 (2200 GMT) surrounded by the people whom he loved and who loved him," a family statement said.
Authorities detained a 23-year-old in the southern coastal town of Shoreham-by-Sea, more than 400 kilometres (250 miles) from Manchester.
The 34-year-old retired National Guard lieutenant, who has yet to be identified, was beaten and shot to death by attackers Saturday night in the town of Cabudare in the western state of Lara, prosecutors said.
The meeting in Pretoria comes as Zuma faces growing criticism within the ruling African National Congress, which sharpened after a March cabinet reshuffle when he sacked respected finance minister Pravin Gordhan.