World Bulletin / News Desk
Former head of the Higher Education Board (YÖK) Kemal Gürüz, who is wanted by judicial authorities as a suspect in the Feb. 28, 1997 military intervention investigation, returned to Turkey on Sunday.
On Friday, police detained several civilians in relation to the ongoing investigation. Gürüz, one of the suspects, couldn't be detained or summoned to testify as he was abroad.
Gürüz arrived at İzmir's Alsancak Port on a ship on Sunday. In his first statement to the press, he said: “I used the powers vested in me by the law. I never overstepped those. I have nothing to be ashamed of. I don't know what Feb. 28 is.”
Two people were taken into custody and detention warrants were issued for two others on Friday as part of the sixth wave of operations in a deepening investigation into the Feb. 28, 1997 unarmed military intervention, popularly known as the postmodern coup.
This is the first time civilian figures have been targeted in a Feb. 28 operation.
Earlier this year, prosecutors involved in the Feb. 28 investigation seized documents and correspondence between Gen. Çevik Bir, the general who led the intervention, and Gürüz, strengthening suspicions that the former YÖK head played a major role in the 1997 coup. The documents were relayed to the West Study Group (BÇG), which was established by the Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) to carry out the fight against religious fundamentalism and which kept records of the ideological and religious backgrounds of academics and university students.
A message signed by Bir on July 14, 1998, and sent to Gürüz demands that a new education system be adopted to discourage students from attending religious imam-hatip high schools. The correspondence is believed to suggest the application of a lower coefficient to calculate the university admission examination scores of graduates of vocational high schools, including imam-hatip high schools. The YÖK General Council held a meeting on Aug. 30, almost 45 days after Gürüz received Bir's letter, in which such a coefficient system was discussed. It was subsequently put into practice in 1999. The new system made it virtually impossible for graduates of vocational high schools to attend university.
Gürüz was detained in 2009 as part of the investigation into Ergenekon, a clandestine criminal network accused of being nested within the state bureaucracy and working to overthrow democratically elected governments, but was later released pending trial. An indictment in the Ergenekon case asserted that Gürüz was working to “shape university administrations” both during his term in office at YÖK and after he retired. According to the indictment, Gürüz tried to influence appointments of rectors to universities even after his retirement.
Military says caves, tunnels used as shelter, storage in Sirnak province
Interior ministry announces reward of up to $1.3 million for information leading to arrest of Adil Oksuz
Turkey stands in solidarity with its brotherly country Pakistan, Turkish Foreign Ministry says
Thousands of candidates say the civil service exam fraud cheated them out of jobs and want this injustice overturned
Proposed text to amend constitution will be on Turkish parliament's agenda soon: Opposition Nationalist Movement Party head
Justice and Development Party MP's meet diplomats in effort to correct misrepresentations of Turkey
An explosion has rocked the Turkish resort city of Antalya outside the Chamber of Commerce building
On its 71st anniversary, Turkish President Erdogan says Turkey hopes UN 'takes a leading role in the fight against terrorism'
Yildirim thanks Abbas for support following July 15 coup attempt
Foreign Ministry source says foreign outlets' claims that civilians were killed in an operation are only allegations
Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag to share new evidence, obtained since Sept. 10, with US Attorney General Loretta Lynch
Jean-Marc Ayrault praises courage of Turkish people and parliamentarians during the July 15 coup bid
Airstrikes kill pair in ongoing operation in Tunceli province, local official says
Prime Minister Binali Yildirim says troops at Bashiqa called on to provide support fire for Peshmerga
Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu says Turkish special forces could support Iraqi offensive but dismisses wider role
Yildirim says AK Party also plans to issue 5-year terms for deputies