World Bulletin / News Desk
A Saudi court has sentenced 11 men to up to 15 years in prison for membership of a "terror" cell that planned to attack U.S. forces in Kuwait and state-owned Saudi oil giant Aramco, Saudi media reported on Wednesday.
The 11 were among thousands of people rounded up between 2003 and 2006.
Alriyadh newspaper said the sentences, handed down by the Specialised Criminal Court in the Saudi capital on Tuesday, ranged from two to 15 years in jail.
"The verdicts ... include 15 years in prison for the first defendant for joining a terror cell which targeted American forces in Kuwait and important Aramco sites," the newspaper said.
A spokesman from the Justice Ministry could not be reached for comment.
Last year, the Interior Ministry said 5,696 people had been detained by the authorities in "militant" cases, of whom 5,080 had already appeared in court.
Human rights groups say peaceful political activists have also been imprisoned in the kingdom's crackdown.
Only the government's Human Rights Commission (HRC), which reports to Saudi King Abdullah, and selected Saudi media can attend the trials, HRC and independent human rights campaigners said, demanding they be opened to a wider audience.
"The trials have to be open and transparent. In the absence of transparency I am not aware if there was due process," the president of the kingdom's Human Rights First Society, Ibrahim al-Mugaiteeb, told Reuters.
Last year a Saudi court gave 16 men long prison sentences for "funding terrorism" and conspiring with al Qaeda to seize power. Rights campaigners say the men had been peaceful activists for a constitutional monarchy and other reforms.
A monitor's, Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, new toll reports on horrific casualties of fighting in Syria
Islamic Constitutional Movement has boycotted two general polls in 2012 and 2013 in protest against a change in electoral law
The UN's Syria envoy says there 'are plenty of civilians at the moment in danger of starvation'
Israeli military planes have hit at a number of sites in Gaza following a rocket attack
Over past ten days, 71 people have been killed in attacks carried out by Assad regime in Syria’s NW Latakia province
Civilians flee ISIL-held city of Raqqa amid fears of imminent attack by PYD terrorist group supported by US air power
Human Rights Watch says Egypt courts have sentenced more than 150 people to prison since May for staging peaceful protests
Russia delays airstrikes in Syria to allow various armed groups to separate from al-Nusra Front
A shock new theory has emerged on the EgyptAir Flight MS804 air disaster claiming it could have been caused by a meteor
B'Tselem group says army investigations are slow, inefficient and rarely lead to convictions
'The discussions have become more sensitive and delicate bringing us closer to a comprehensive agreement,' UN envoy says
Leading human rights group Amnesty International has criticized a dozen European countries for complicity in Egypt’s crackdown on dissent through their arms exports to the African country.
Chief forensic official dismisses reports suggesting that last week’s EgyptAir plane crash might have been caused by explosion
Far-right Israeli opposition lawmaker Avigdor Lieberman has agreed with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on terms for joining the coalition government as its new defense ministe
Foreign Minister Lavrov says 'convinced it would have been possible to more effectively and quickly liberate ISIL-occupied areas if Russian and US militaries started coordinating their actions
Syrian Democratic Forces units start an operation to liberate northern Raqqa province