World Bulletin/News Desk
The party of Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao has won East Timor's parliamentary election, but was short of a majority, provisional results showed on Sunday, raising the prospect of a coalition government in Asia's youngest nation.
With all the ballots counted from Saturday's poll, the National Council of Timorese Resistance (CNRT) party led by Gusmao, a former guerrilla leader, had 36.7 percent of the vote, election commission official Tomas Cabral said.
The opposition Fretilin Party, also a key player in securing independence from Indonesia, scored 29.9 percent. The Democratic Party lay third with 10.3 percent, placing it in a key position in any bid to form a government.
"The result makes us even more curious about who would form the government," said Antonio dos Reis, a veteran independence fighter. "But for me, these parties should unite and form a united government so that we can start developing this country."
With negotiations on a coalition almost certainly ahead, voters huddled around radios to hear the latest tallies, while many followed results posted on Facebook and Twitter.
"What we will see in the next two or three weeks is a lot of discussion between CNRT and the Fretilin about the potential arrangements for the foundation of the government," said Silas Everett, country representative for the Asia Foundation.
"The discussions will probably result in either a coalition or a minority government."
The CNRT based its platform on seeking foreign loans to build infrastructure in one of Asia's poorest country with high youth unemployment. Fretilin opposes resorting to loans.
However, Everett said that if the parties could bridge their differences, the resulting coalition would produce a more stable government able to proceed with economic development.
CNRT is open for talks following the result announcement, said Dionisio Babo Soares, the party's secretary general.
The party targeted to win 44 seats but would only get around 30 of the 65-seat parliament based on the result.
Official results are expected on July 17. The government has said a new administration will be formed by Aug. 8.
The United Nations, which has said its mission will end in December, lauded Saturday's election as peaceful and orderly.
Nasrallah was speaking at an event to commemorate the deaths of six Hezbollah fighters and an Iranian general killed by an Israeli air strike in Syria on Jan. 18.
ISIL also lost 102 military vehicles and 16 tanks.
Analysts say Pakistan army chief travelled to Beijing to show US it has other regional allies
South Sudanese leader has accused IGAD of "taking custody" of the country.
A vehicle carrying two U.S. citizens came under fire in the Eastern Province district of al-Ahsa, one of the main centres of Saudi Arabia's minority Shi'ites. It was not clear who shot at the vehicle.
Education minister warns against using textbooks that undermine communism
Ahtem Ciygoz was taken into custody on Thursday by the Russian Federal Investigative Committee.
Commander of Iran's elite revolutionary guard meets leader of Hezbollah
Six bodies were found washed ashore on Morocco's Boukana beach, close to a Spanish enclave that is a regular destination for migrants earlier on Friday.
Greece "absolutely against" Eldorado-run mine - energy minister and says that there will be "no way" government will privatise gas utility DEPA. To await EU decision before deciding future of gas grid operator (Adds comments on revoking law over PPC, details, context)
AU commissioner for peace and security Ismail Chergui said that the AU will approve deployment of 7,500 African Union troops to fight Boko Haram in Chad, Niger, Nigeria and Cameroon.
The student union leader was kidnapped from outside his home and taken to an unknown location.
French Muslims freedom is now being curbed in the name of combatting terrorism with the French government unveiling a new video to deter would be fighters with ISIL
Computer and cellphone buyers in Xianjiang region must register with police, with security camera footage to be kept for at least 30 days.
The perpetrators of the Srebrenica genocide have lost their appeals at UN's appeals chamber in The Hague which has confirmed life jail terms for Vujadin Popovic and Ljubisa Beara.
Three simultaneous bombings targeted military and security sites in the city of Aish.